Fat, resting Red Wag Platy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sanasana

Reaction score
I noticed today that one of my red wags is looking pretty fat and has been resting at the back and bottom of the tank since morning. It does move around the tank occasionally and has eaten as well. Is it sick or just expecting? I searched up online and found similar questions. One's red wag died and another person's was expecting. Any idea what's up with mine? :\ My tiger barb looks a bit fat too (I'm posting a question about that in the other section).

SAM_7650_zpsxe1i0780.jpg

4_zpstmgbvtfd.jpg

These are my other three red wags. Another one of those three looked fatter too. Did they eat too much?

1_zpshgffoxmh.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If the fish is eating normally and its scales are not sticking out sideways from the body, it is probably in labour and could give birth in the next 24 hours. If this is the case, then leave it alone and do not disturb her. Make sure there are lots of plants in the tank and don't do anything to stress her out.

If the fish is eating normally and its scales are not sticking out sideways from the body, it is probably in labour and could give birth in the next 24 hours. If this is the case, then leave it alone and do not disturb her. Make sure there are lots of plants in the tank and don't do anything to stress her out.

Oh gosh, okay, thank you. I saw some videos online and yes, she's behaving just like an expecting fish. I searched up about the fry and have a rough understanding of what I need to know. I should protect them or separate them from the mother fish when they're born, but what about the other platys and tiger barb? Are fantail goldfish a danger too?

The mother is the least of your worries. Other fish, especially barbs love baby fish. Goldfish don't normally go after the babies if they are well fed but won't pass up the opportunity to eat them either.

If you have lots of plants in the tank the female will hide among them and the babies will too. The best plant is Water Sprite that floats on the surface but can also be planted in the gravel. It provides lots of hiding places for the babies and you can scoop the babies out with a plastic container and put them in a breeding net so the other fish don't get them.

If you don't have Water Sprite then any plastic or real plant that is floating near the surface will provide cover for the fry.

The mother is the least of your worries. Other fish, especially barbs love baby fish. Goldfish don't normally go after the babies if they are well fed but won't pass up the opportunity to eat them either.

If you have lots of plants in the tank the female will hide among them and the babies will too. The best plant is Water Sprite that floats on the surface but can also be planted in the gravel. It provides lots of hiding places for the babies and you can scoop the babies out with a plastic container and put them in a breeding net so the other fish don't get them.

If you don't have Water Sprite then any plastic or real plant that is floating near the surface will provide cover for the fry.
I'm not sure where, in my area, I'll be able to get a water sprite, but I'll add more plastic ones– and definitely try to keep the tiger barb away :X

There isn't anything you can do to keep the tiger barb away short of moving it into another tank. But then the female platy could stress out if you are chasing fish around the tank. Just have lots of plants (real or plastic) and hope for the best. If all the babies get eaten, don't worry because the female will have more in a month or so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back