Fast Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm having a slight problem with a vivid green algae in my tank. It's growing mainly on the gravel and spreads extremely quickly. It forms a thin layer over the gravel and is only weakly adhered to it. When I do my weekly 20% water change I vacuum the gravel well and remove the best part of it. Unfortunately, within three days the gravel is nearly covered with the stuff again. I bought 8 ottocinclus to help me with the cleaning but they only seem interested in the brown diatom algae that covered my filter housing and rocks. They have nearly totally removed that stuff. They don't seem intersted in the green algae at all. My nitrates are very low and I only have the lights on for 9 hours a day. The tank does get a fair bit of natural light but very little direct sunlight (about a half hours worth in the evening). Can you buy a phosphate testing kit? What causes phosphates to build up?
Any help with this annoying problem would be appreciated.

WK

i have been told that nothing eats brown alge... tho i didnt really belive the person that told me (narf)
as for the green alge do you have the tank in direct sunlight? perhaps if you do reduce the amount by giveing some shade. also the levals of oxigen and co2 might encorage alge growth if they are very out of ballance. some alge produces more co2 some produces more oxigen so i have been told. good luck with getting it under control

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back