What's new

Fantail fish tank mates

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

klw7me

Reaction score
I have a fantail goldfish who is about 7 1/2 years old and about 5 inches long. She is happy in herself in a 120l tank with a good filter etc. the only issue with her is she has one eye, but this happened when she was little. We had another who sadly died a couple of years ago, as goldfish are social creatures I got two weather loaches a couple of months ago and she has become much more active since then. There is also an amino shrimp in there (used to have 2), which we have had for about 2 years (I hadn't seen him for 6 months, but when we put the weather loaches in he became more active). This lot all seem to be happy enough together, but I am conscious of the amino shrimp being on his own. I know there should be at least two but ideally 3-5 of them together.

Would I be okay to get another couple of amino shrimps, or are the weather loaches likely to kill them?

The tank has plants and bog wood etc for them to hide behind, levels are all very stable, temperature sits at about 20 and has done forever, which I know it a little on the hot side, but have never been able to bring it down.

Amano shrimps are, I always thought, more for a tropical tank than a goldfish one.....but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You say your shrimp became more lively when you added loaches....not surprised, I'd be frightened to death if I was the shrimp. I cannot say from first-hand experience whether a weather-loach would eat such a shrimp, but they have quite a wide ranging appetite and mine love those packets of squidgy Tetra Freshdelica brine shrimp, so meat is definitely on their menu.
Personally I'd be nervous of putting the two together. Also, goldfish will try and eat anything they can fit into their mouth, so a meaty shrimp would be fair game.
Just for interest; my coldwater tank runs hot in the summer (around 24C) and I have to include an extra bubbler/airstone to agitate the water surface. However, neither my goldfish or the loaches seem too bothered.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back