fancy goldfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SConrad

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Titusville, Florida...WHERE THE SPACE SHUTTLE GOES
i bought an outdoor pond this weekend and installed it, added my three common goldfish and so far they're doin good. it's a ninety gallon pond. can i add my fancy to the pond also? i have a warm water tank and don't want the fancy to be in there anymore(i know they're coldwater) so should i put him/her out there too?

I think the fancy goldfish would have a harder time getting the food with the common goldfish being in there. I would put them in there but make sure they are getting plenty of food. :thumbs:

I had 3 red cap orandas (3 inches) with comets (4 inches) and small Koi (5-6 inches) im my 100 gallon pond (in profile). They lived a very long time and seemed not to have trouble competeting for food because I scattered the food pretty good when I fed them. They lived for about 2 years untill one day a heron decided to make sushi out of them. :grr:

I had fancies all to themselves in a 55 gallon once and when I decided to switch to african cichlids I gave them to my cousin who has a similar sized pond as yours. I thought my fish were big happy and healthy until I saw her massive bodied fancies!! They were more than happy in there with the "big boys" which were commons and comets. She did make sure to feed them plenty of duckweed I think it was...along with plenty of pellets and other things. Just make sure they all get a bite...and prepare to be taking lots of babies to the fish store. hehe

some will say yes some no lol but the fish will be fine as long as you put them out when the weathers fairly decent sos not to shock the system with a short sharp shock,i keep my fancys along with my koi and comets etc and they over winter fine outdoors although some claim they wont,i kept a black moor in a pond for several years ,

cold water fish should be in a pond and dont let any of these softies who keep em in nice warm tanks tell you otherwise :hyper:

Its up to you, if you think they can get enough food then give it a try. It also depends how cold your winters are, they will not be able to withstand the temperatures that Common Goldfish can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back