Fancy Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jjsmith46

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can a fancy goldfish live in a lake.as my mums got 1 in a 70 ltr but its got a little big,i dont want to give to lfs so can the fish live in pond or lake! Cheers

Yes they can. I have a Koi pond with a variety of goldfish including fancies and they winter over just fine. They will hibernate just like all the rest. Don't forget they are just carp and carp live outdoors in the winter.

No - NEVER release a fish into the wild from the aquarium trade its caused problems all over the world, gold fish are very hardy fish and breed like crazy so it only takes you to release this one and one other person to release it into the same river and they will spread like crazy.

Not only is it irrisponsible to do this it is also illegal if you get caught usually with massive fines - not sure where your from but if your in the US they are ridiculously strict about it as well. Why do you not want to give it to your LFS? Or why not try and rehome it on here in the classifieds or aquarist classifieds if your in the UK or Aqua bid if your in the US?

Wills

OH I didn't realize you were going to release in into the wild. Yes Wills is right. NEVER release anything into the wild. I thought you meant a private lake or pond.

Fancy goldfish should not be kept in ponds unless you live in a warm country. They are not as hardy as common goldfish and prefer much warner temperatures.

Additionally, no pet of any kind should ever be released into the wild. It puts the animal and the local eco-system at HUGE risk and is illegal.

Where are you based? I'm sure someone on here would have a suitable tank for it. I've got a 290 litre goldfish tank with some room, for example.

If you are in the US I also have a tank with some extra room

R just keep in a rekord 60 for a bit then when time comes r take to lfs

What temp is ideal for a fancy then,

R just keep in a rekord 60 for a bit then when time comes r take to lfs

What temp is ideal for a fancy then,

If it's in a 70 litre tank, it needs to be upgraded or rehomed ASAP, to be honest. These fish get very large and are prone to getting stunted in tanks that are too small. I always recommend 30 gallons for an adult fancy and 20 gallons to grow-out a baby fancy. My three are in a 66 gallon tank.

Temp wise, 20-24C is good. Too high and they're more prone to disease and have a very fast metabolism, too low and they don't seem to do as well.

Could it go in my rio 180 which has temp of 24,4 mollies and some cardinals!

Could do. Most won't recommend keeping goldies with tropicals but I think if you have the space and no fish that will bully a slow moving fancy, and good filtration (have you got an external filter?) then it could be a very good home for it.

My external is on the rio 300 with my clowns,but the rio 180 has very good filter with more media in than my fluval 305,my mollies are very peacfull,its in a cold water tank at mo,wont the change to 24.c tank do it in,or aclimatise very slowly

My external is on the rio 300 with my clowns,but the rio 180 has very good filter with more media in than my fluval 305,my mollies are very peacfull,its in a cold water tank at mo,wont the change to 24.c tank do it in,or aclimatise very slowly

Do it slowly. I put the fish I want in a bucket with just enough water to cover it. Then I take a long piece of air-line (that thin hose that connects an air-pump to an air-stone) and put a knot in it, then use that to siphon water from the new tank into the bucket. Get it so that you have 1-2 drips a second. Once you've done that for 10-15 minutes, test the water temp in the bucket and if it's still too cool, add a few cups of water from the tank to bring the temp up. Again, do it slowly but adding more water will bring the temp up quicker.

Alternatively, you can float the fish in a bag in the tank and scoop small amounts of water into the bag over 10-15 minutes.

you might want more filtration on your Rio 180. As you say, there is a lot of media, but the powerhead isn't great

^^ assuming you have got the original Juwel internal filter

Its a fantail fancy goldie,ill qt in my 60 for a bit then move to the 180

Most reactions

Back