Fancy Goldfish

liz2

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Got a big tank with assorted fancy fish in. Black moor, 2 orange.. one with really long fancy tail, the other with short double tail. One of those with no back fin.. and one beautiful fancy fish with black fins. Came home lunch time and hubby says you watch your fish they are picking on the big one and they are taking it in turns to chase him. He hides then as soon as he is back they chase him again. I have had to take him out as he is getting stressed. Whats the problem? He has the longest tail which is black?

So theres 5 fish yes?
It may be territorial, how many gallons is the tank and is it long rather than tall?
It may also be chased for breeding. if its a female then the males will chase but that behaviour looks like males are close to its butt or side and pushing it along.
If its aggressive then you should be seeing bitten fins and lost scales.
As you have taken her out its unlikely you will be able to introduce her again without the same thing happening.
That leaves three options.
A 10 gallon for herself.
Take back to the pet store
Or, if you are overstocked then losing a couple of the other fish.

I think she is a female..how do I know ?she has black eyeliner round her eyes and she must be a goth as she has black lippie on! I will find her a nice home in one of my other tanks.

woohoo i found a topic i can reply on. i recently started trops but i also have a goldie tank. sexing goldfish is really hard. with one exception, males will get ick like bumps on the gill flaps when the fish are in "heat". if the big one that is getting harrased is more getting pushed to the top of the tank then its probly a gurl and the other ones are males. if you just got the fish then the older fish could just be territorial. if you need more info i recomend www.kokosgoldfish.com :D

I find it rather easy to sex a goldfish once they are old enough. Look at their poop shoot, if it sticks out a little its a girl, if it doesn't then its a boy

You can tell like that??

I had this problem, mine chased eachother round until I thought they'd kill the chasee. I ended up with 2 tanks because every time I took one out, the rest would find someone else to pick on. I think this was a boy/girl thing too.

Yup, thats how I have always done it. You can also tell by looking at the pectoral fins, the males are supposed to be thicker but I have never been able to do it that way even when I know what sex that already are

Oh yeah and there are some occasions where a male may have an outie and a female have an innie but I dont think it happens that often. If your still not sure then you can always see if they get the breeding stars or not.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back