Fancy Goldfish Turning White?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blue130

Reaction score
hi, i don't know as it is an emergency but i have a fancy goldfish that is orange and white but over the last month has started to lose its orange and is becoming more and more white, it seems perfectly healthy but i just wanted an idea if it was some sort of disease. i lost his pal about 2 months ago to swim bladder which he had for a long time but have checked the water parameters on a regular basis and they are all perfect as the tank is 2 years mature. ps he is also in there on his own.
any ideas? as my local aquatics can only put it down to the parameters of the water but these are constantly perfect so it isn't that. thanks.

If your water parameters are perfect and the fish isn't showing any other symptoms (lethargy, breathing problems, swimming funny, not eating, etc.), there is probably no problem. Goldfish can just loose their color sometimes, especially as they age.

Do you have a light on the tank? Many fish turn paler in the dark, and some people report goldfish will do this as well.

It's perfectly normal for most goldfish to change colour.
My black more turned gold after 6 months and is now white with a little gold after another 18 months..

Do you know what your testing and what the value'a are are putting perfect is not enough info just in case theirs another problem.
What size is the tank?
Do u do water changes? if so how much and how often?

I agree; it's perfectly normal provided everything else in the tank is ok (parameters).

I had a gold - goldfish; about 5years ago literally overnight he turned into a white gold fish.

if there is nothing funny going on with him except for the coloration, its nothing to worry about. i have 5 4 year old monstrous ones that one now looks like a koi cause of the coloration, and a couple of them have white bellies. they can loose their coloring as they age. some people tell me that if you get the fish food that enhances their color that they'll keep it, i'm not sure about this though, i haven't tried it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back