Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Common Name(s): False Siamese Algae Eater, False Siamensis

Scientific Name: Epalzeorhynchus sp.,

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: Southeast Asia, particularly Thailand and the Malay Peninsula

Maximum size: Up to 6"

Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons

Care: There is tremendous confusion about differentiating between several types of fish labelled as algae eaters (see below). The False SAE is relatively easy to care for but is slightly more 'needy' compared to the flying fox (true SAE) in that it needs highly oxygenated water and cleaner water conditions. I frequently find my False SAE hanging out by the airstone. They can become more aggressive towards other fish as they get larger, particularly bottom dwellers. However, aggression is demonstrated by chasing and is mostly harassment. They will not feed on your other fish as they get older like the Chinese Algae Eater (CAE). Keep only one to a tank. They are not great wall/algae cleaners though they do eat it. False SAE's do not cling to the glass walls like other 'sucker' fish. At night, after lights out, this fish will lose most of it's markings and appear almost a solid gray/brown. Prefers tank temps 75-79 degrees and does not prefer acidic pH's.

Feeding: The False SAE will eat almost anything. They will eat sinking pellets of spirulina algae, shrimp, flake and mine will swim to the surface to try and grab flake and dried bloodworms. Frozen foods are taken as well.

Sexing: No identifying features known.

Breeding: This fish has not been bred in captivity.

Comments: Like many other people, I purchased my False SAE as a Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus. It was incorrectly labelled at the lfs and the confusion is quite common among this group of algae eating fish:
  1. Siamese Algae Eater (SAE), Siamese Flying Fox, Crossocheilus siamensis
  2. False SAE, False Siamensis, Epalzeorhynchus sp.
  3. Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kalopeterus
  4. Crossocheilus oblongus
  5. Chinese Algae Eater (CAE), Gyrinocheilus aymonieri
The main identifying features of the False SAE are the following and they fortunately come up pretty clearly in the photo that I took of mine (panda cory is in the foreground):
  • the black horizontal band ends at the caudal penduncle and does not go to the tail fin
  • the horizontal band has more or less a straight edge
  • there is a narrow lighter band above the long black band
  • the dorsum of the fish is solid grayish brown
  • the dorsal fin rays are black near their bases and the forward upper ray is dark
  • all fins are yellowish in color except for the pectorals
  • the mouth appears like a pink ring
  • has two sets of barbels
I'm including the following links to help out:
Distinguishing among algae eaters
Siamese Algae Eater by rdd1952

SAE_panda.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back