Extreme Algae Growth For Months!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Byron said:
I will offer some general comments on a couple things mentioned in this thread.

Slime algae is not algae but cyanobacteria, a bacteria which is caused by organics in the presence of good light.  Sunlight is likely part of this problem.  You will have to somehow prevent any direct sunlight from reaching the aquarium.  Even bright daylight (ambient light) in the room can upset the balance [being what someone mentioned earlier, light and nutrients must be balanced for the plants].  Organics are usually from fish, but excess plant additives can contribute too, I have had this.

On the pH, you will almost certainly have no luck using pH adjusting chemicals.  The pH is part of the mineral/carbonate/ion relationship.  First, we need to know the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) of your source water, and also the pH.  You should be able to track this data down from your municipal water authority if you are on city water (not a private well).  Check if they have a website, or call them.  And when testing tap water pH, you need to ensure the CO2 is out-gassed or the reading may be inaccurate.  Let a glass of tap water sit 24 hours, then test pH [this is not necessary when testing aquarium water, just so you know].  Or get the pH from the water site too.  As these three are closely connected, you will not have any luck permanently adjusting the pH if the GH and KH are significant.  We can go into this more when we have the numbers.

You also mentioned a concrete rock wall sealed...this may well increase the GH/KH/pH as concrete contains limestone which is calcareous and dissolves slowly in water.  I've no idea how you "sealed" this, but it may or may not affect the process.  Just something to keep in mind.

While snails can help with algae, they will never deal with a serious problem because the algae simply spreads too rapidly when conditions are to its advantage rather than in balance for the higher plants.  Same applies to any so-called "treatment" with algicides, and anyway these have the further more serious problem of being detrimental to fish and plants.  You need to sort out the light/nutrient balance.

The "Envy" I assume is the so-named product in Seachem's newer line of plant additives, AquaVitro?  If it is, I would stop using it, at least until you have all this algae/cyano under control.  There are ingredients in Envy that I personally doubt can have any benefit to plants.  And it is an algae-base to begin with, Chlorella algae.  I really don't know what this may do.  The substrate tabs (presumably Flourish Tabs) are OK and should help control/prevent algae as the nutrients do not get into the water column in the way that liquid additives do.  I use these and have so far seen nothing I can blame the tabs for, but I have had algae issues with the liquids if I use too much.

Byron.
Thanks!! I got some black background to cover the sides of the aquarium, so hopefully this will keep the sunlight OUT. Also I lowered the amount of time the lights are on. I added some fish today (because of bullying in the main tank) but I'll stop with the Envy and see what happens!  

BettaBettas, on 24 Sept 2016 - 7:32 PM, said:

BettaBettas said:
here's a few suggestions:

1- label the type of algae because I cant tell what kind it is...
2- may have to much nutrients, this isn't a "bad" thing but it will help the algae spread and grow.
3- nerite snails, if you meet the conditions for these helpful critters, they will clear everything (or pretty much everything) I have 5 and they keep it all under control...
4- What kind of ferts do you use.
5- as Aquarian said, your lighting, may be an issue. although I don't think it is because from the picture it seems pretty average,i would lower the lighting to 4-5 Hours a day
1- I tried my best in the OP, most I don't know what it is. 
2- is there a way to check this? 
3- love the work they do, hate scraping the eggs
4- roots tabs and Envy
5- only five hours a day?!
unsure.png
There are two primary ways people have used to control algae deliberately limit nutrients and make sure all nutrients plants need are available.  Limiting nutrients it can be difficult to get good plant growth.  From my personal experience just missing one nutrient can cause plant growth to slow and even stop while still allowing algae to grow.  If you get it right the plants will outcompete the algae.  Or  algae will overtake the aquarium like it has in your case.  

What root tabs do you use?  Also what envy?  Please provide links.  I did a search for Envy fertilizer and found nothing I would consider appropriate for aquariums and or the mineral content is not listed.  I would strongly suggest that you use a fertilizer with all of these nutrients:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_nutrition  Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is frequently recommended because A; it is formulated for aquariums B: has all the required nutrients and C: it lists all the ingredients (no seacret ingredients). http://www.seachem.com/flourish.php

From my personal experience missing just one trace element will result in little to no plant growth.  Furthermore if you have too much of some nutrients that excess can inhibit plant growth.  Phosphorous  is one of those.  And from my own experience having zero nitrate and nitrite can cause phosphorous (or phosphate) to build up.  In all likelihood you are missing something and as a result your plants are not growing.  There is no one test kit available to test for all of the nutrients plants needed.  

As to nerite snails.  I have then and have eggs but they never hatch in freshwater.  It is easy to get nerite eggs.  As far as I know no one breeds them.  They are common.  Additionally the snail picture you posted shows snail shell erosion.  That could mean soft or very soft water.  Shell erosion can eventually kill snails.  Please list your your water test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, GH (hardness), and KH (alkalinity), include all the numbers..  Also look for your water quality report on the web.  When you find it post the link.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back