External Heater Good Idea?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Broxyrob

Reaction score
Hi there

First post so here goes.
Just bought a new and my first external filter (fluval 406) for my juwel rio 180 as its the only one that seems to fit in the cupboard, and was wondering if it was a good idea to buy an external heater to go on to it?

Thanks a lot
Rob :)

Go for it, Everyones switching to external heaters giving them more room in the tank.

what heater do you have now?

are you having a problem with it?.....if not, no reason to change unless you enjoy burning money

i use internal eheim jager heaters in most of my tanks, very reliable, accurate, and consistent

Blimey that was quick :) thanks for the replies

Erm I've got one built into my internal filter, was just getting ideas on what one n stuff. Don't like the idea of the fish being burnt which I've heard off when I get the new filter and put the heater on the glass.

Rob

Broxyrob said:
 Don't like the idea of the fish being burnt which I've heard off when I get the new filter and put the heater on the glass.

Rob

i have never had one fish "burnt" in 25+ years, so thats obviously not going to be an issue....a big myth is all

Ah thanks for clearing that up! Ill have a little re think.

Mikey1 said:
 Don't like the idea of the fish being burnt which I've heard off when I get the new filter and put the heater on the glass.

Rob

i have never had one fish "burnt" in 25+ years, so thats obviously not going to be an issue....a big myth is all
heatres sticking ON, is a common problem. and though it will not "burn" your fish it can boil and cook them.
and a trawl through the forum will reveal more than a few "burnt" fish (though a simple heater guard will solve this.)
it most deffinatly is an ISSUE

raptorrex said:

Rob

heatres sticking ON, is a common problem. and though it will not "burn" your fish it can boil and cook them.
and a trawl through the forum will reveal more than a few "burnt" fish (though a simple heater guard will solve this.)
it most deffinatly is an ISSUE

I guess he can only speak from personal experience, as can I and I've never had a fish get burnt in 26+ years. But then I've always had quite powerful heaters in a centrally heated home so they don't have to be on so often and therefore reduce the chances of something like this happening.

I switched all my tanks to Hydor inline external heaters. I found the internal heaters distracting and unattractive, not to mention they weren't all that reliable for me. Plus, no hot or cold spots in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back