Europe

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Byron said:
Mr. Cameron should do the decent and right thing, and quash this result and move forward.  Like every member of parliament, he was elected to act in the best interests of the citizens of the UK.  Instead of everyone washing their hands of this fiasco, let some of them show true leadership and do their constitutional duty.

No, this cannot be done; legally perhaps, but morally not. It was a vote and there are always some who are not going to like the result. What if it had gone the other way, I suspect that demands for another vote would have fallen on [very] deaf ears. As I said in an earlier post, if they overturn this or fudge it in any way I will never vote again and I'll say bol(l)ocks to this country (damned swear filter).

I have not washed my hands of it, I am more interested in politics than I have been in years, I look forward to the changes that will inevitably occur, be they good or bad. Things need a shake up and sometimes it is good to move the furniture around (although my wife would not agree with this last point).

We'll be ok; trust me, I'm a doctor (I'm not really).

Byron, you're right in terms of Farage, and it's worth noting that he was not a part of the official Leave campaign.  He is a politician.  He's not an MP, he is an MEP and yes his ulterior motive was and has been for years, the UK leaving the EU.

He was never going to be the one driving change after the vote and is disliked by many in this country.  I think the result would have been the same even if Farage hadn't poked his head up during the campaign.

As Shiny says, this result cannot be undone.  It is what it is.  Any change to that would be an insult to democracy itself. The people have spoken and the majority who voted wished to leave the EU.

as of going to bed last night the two front runners for Cameron's job were Teresa May (think she'll get it) and the lady who was a big leave campaigner (I forget her name) Teresa May stated in her speech, when she announced she was running for prime minister, that there would be NO u-turn on the vote. A vote to leave was a vote to leave. As the other lady was a big campaigner for leave it's unlikely that she will allow a u-turn either. 

As for Nigel Farage ... I'll probably be unpopular for saying this but I quite like the guy. I admit he's said some stuff that he shouldn't have but I see that he was just trying to get the point across. In terms of his announcement to go ... well with the leave vote he's got what he wanted. His mission has been accomplished and now he wants his life back ... I get that. After over 20 years of trying to get this country out of Europe's clutches I'd want to grasp back some of my personal life too. I do strongly believe though that he'll remain 'on guard'. He'll continue to keep an eye on things and if things start going back towards another union with Europe he'll be popping back up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back