fran34

Reaction score
I wish Iā€™d found this forum earlier.
One of my children win a fish at the fair
I didnā€™t want a fish but I adopted it
I bought tanks one for Ā£50 then later one for Ā£100
Fed it and changed the water
I had it 8 years
Putting it down was awful and Iā€™ve come on here today to vent how very devastating it was to put the fish down myself. Itā€™s left me heartbroken and traumatised
I had panic attacks before and afterwards and now flashbacks
I want to warn anyone of a sensitive nature to not do this yourself
Let a vet or responsible person with decisive instruction.
I used clove oil and it seemed very quick
The smell of that stuff will live with me forever and I couldnā€™t get the smell off my hands although I swear I wore gloves.
The fish already seemed sedated after about 15 drops then I just poured the whole two 10 ml bottles in 1 litre water
Thatā€™s 400 mg of clove
It looked gone but then poured a load of vodka in
Before I even did this
I dissolved in the water 2 sleeping pills and 4 Baclofen muscle relaxant
Another to put out an elephant
Still after just the pills, 2 hours later the goldfish was still alive
He was very ill with goldfish cancer and a severe bend
Iā€™d tried all sorts but he was beyond help
That damn clove oil smelt so bad
It can burn to
On hindsight I would have gone to the vet and wish I had
Please go to your vet, if you are like me
It was awful and heā€™s still in the tub with the lid and I canā€™t bare to get it and bury the fish or look at it
It deserved a decent burial yet I buried a rabbit in the garden 15 years ago and think about it still so letting the fish get taken when refuse come.
So sorry fish.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

One of the things about being a long live species like a human, is you outlive many other things. Death is an unpleasant part of life and unfortunately, everything dies. You had the fish for 8 years and that is a pretty good run.

re: Clove oil. It doesn't kill fish but it does put them to sleep, makes them unconscious. Once they are asleep, you put the container of water and fish into the freezer and let it freeze solid.

Euthanasia is an unfortunate aspect some times of animal care. I am sorry you had such a bad experience with this but the fact you have taken a lot of effort and care shows you did care for this fish.
I would put a caveat to your suggestion to take to a vet, my partner is a vet and received no training during their degree on euthanasia of fish. You would be much better off doing it yourself if your vet has not ad aquatic vet training.

you put the container of water and fish into the freezer and let it freeze solid.

I know that seems the nicer way to do it, but a simple knock on the head is much more humane as the "anaesthetic" can wear off before the fish freezes.
It seems less humane to us, and I know a few people would not necessarily be able to do it, but the priority has to be the fish, not our feelings.

Thankyou for your replies
I couldnā€™t do that wrap it in foil then render it unconscious then slash through the brain as I read!
Freezing sounds pretty nasty unless you half froze the water already
The clove way seemed the friendliest
I didnā€™t mix it first unfortunately but the fact I put about 15 drops in and it looked out of it.
I believe the 400mg that is 20ml
2 bottles was enough to put the fish down
I also added a lot of vodka
I left the fish in the container
I saw the Gil move once
The vets do have anaesthetic so I donā€™t know.
It is advised for larger fish if the vet has researched.
Everyone is unique in there idea.
I had trouble dealing with this and death is part of life thatā€™s true
But most unfortunately though
I appreciate your kind words but itā€™s not for the faint hearted.

I saw a woman sedate a fish with just the clove
I did add vodka
While it was sedated or passed
I do wish Iā€™d found this site years ago
Perhaps the goldfish would have lasted 20 years
Itā€™s good you provided the extra info
Thankyou lumpfish guy.

Most reactions

Back