Eu Ban On Fish Keeping! #handsoffmyhobby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
In next months European election I shall be voting UKIP. This is not because I think UKIP are necessarily the best party to have in power but because it is necessary to really let our politicians know that many of us are fed up with the power that unelected European commissioners wield against the rest of us. I am not against the EU, indeed in many ways I think it is an excellent idea, but I will not be told how to keep my fish, what shape my bananas should be, or have my country be prevented from expelling terrorists because of ther 'right' to a family life by a bunch of over-paid, self-fulfilling, European bureaucratic idiots.

[Yes I know the banana thing is old and irrelevant now but they've just moved from bananas to some other piece of pointless legislation]

ShinySideUp said:
In next months European election I shall be voting UKIP. This is not because I think UKIP are necessarily the best party to have in power but because it is necessary to really let our politicians know that many of us are fed up with the power that unelected European commissioners wield against the rest of us. I am not against the EU, indeed in many ways I think it is an excellent idea, but I will not be told how to keep my fish, what shape my bananas should be, or have my country be prevented from expelling terrorists because of ther 'right' to a family life by a bunch of over-paid, self-fulfilling, European bureaucratic idiots.

[Yes I know the banana thing is old and irrelevant now but they've just moved from bananas to some other piece of pointless legislation]
Have to agree. UKIP is the only way to prevent the continuation of pathetic snobbery and beauracracy.

That article doesn't disprove the introduction of non native species by fishkeepers, it just shows some can get here by other means as well.
I also find the title of this thread misleading, as much as I dislike being part of the EU they're not trying to ban fishkeeping across the board, just the import of some wild caught species.

The banning of species is easily done, plants, inverts and fish it was not long ago that the golden apple snail was banned from being imported. It is fishkeeping as a whole they are looking at.

http://eurogroupforanimals.org/get-involved/the-need-for-national-and-eu-action-to-protect-wild-and-exotic-animals

"There are more than 200 million pets in Europe, including mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and amphibians. However, many species, especially exotic animals, are unsuited to a life in captivity. This may result in severe animal welfare problems, and can also be detrimental to biodiversity, have a negative impact on public health, and present a danger to the health of other animals.

The keeping of exotic animals as pets raises a number of concerns. Our primary concern is animal welfare, as exotic pets have complex needs making it difficult, if not impossible, for the average owner to provide specialized care, diet and housing to meet their needs. Examples of exotic pets suffering from inadequate nutrition, injuries from misuse of artificial heating/lights, behavioral problems and inappropriate medical care are commonplace."

If you look at paragraph 2 and apply it to fish, nearly every tank would come under this.

An additional concern is that animals may be procured by methods that cause suffering, such as in the case of wild-caught animals or species that are intensively bred for the pet trade.

If you take the red tailed black shark as an example: this fish is said to be extinct in the wild and is only bred for the aquatic trade - intensively - this fish could be wiped out altogether.

I do agree that some species of fish should not be available to the general public to put in a home aquarium, e.g. red tailed catfish, pacu, arrowanna and other very large fish that are so often kept in inadequate housing.

I work for an MEP, no comment on which party as I have no interest in playing politics on here.  I will however look into this,

I've tried following the links to sign the petition but it doesn't take you to the petition in question. I just thought I'd pass that on in case you guys didn't know.

I've finally found the petition and I've signed .. I've also shared on facebook to get the message out there

Hopefully the UK will be leaving the EU, then the dumb laws that Brussels pass will not apply.

I assume this was never put into place? Or is it still going on? Someone should start a new country where politics are simple, fair, and not this stupid. Ya'know, there is a place in the Indian Ocean that hasn't been claimed last I checked. I think it's at least 200 miles away from any other country. Only problem is that you'd have to build an island there. It's only about 700 feet deep though. Someone should totally get on that :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back