Established Filter Media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jpmarini3

Reaction score
Yesterday I set up a 10 gallon tank (looking to house a kribensis pair). I put on a new aquaclear 20 filter. I have an established 55 gal community tank with an Emperor 280 and Aquaclear 70 on it...I took the sponge from the 70 and cut it up to fit into the AC 20. I put the rest of the sponge into the 10 gal to float. I also took some gravel from the 55 gal and put it into the 10, mixing it with new gravel. I thought this would kick-start the cycle and didn't want the existing bacteria in the established sponge and gravel to starve, so I put in the krib female, but...

The ammonia reading is high today! I thought this established media would keep the ammonia down with a fish in it. I am concerned for her health; should i wait it out, will she be ok? Or do a water change, will levels recover? An alternative would be to possibly put her into the 55 while this tank cycles, but... I have a male already in there, so I am afraid of them spawning in a community set-up (I have catfish that the male would definitely attack when in spawning mode). But maybe they will be peaceful long enough so that this tank will cycle and i can throw them in after.

Any help on a plan of action would be appreciated, thank you.

JP

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I were you, I'd relocate her for now.  As you know, ammonia is toxic to fish.

I did a similar thing when I started a 20 gallon tank.  Took gravel from an aged tank, and developed some filter media, but still I had a cycle to go through.  The difference was instead of a three week cycle, it took about four days.  If you're worried about starving the bacteria, feed them flakes (although they take about three days to decompose into ammonia) or use ammonia drops.  Cycling with fish leads to problems.

I've cycled all my tanks almost immediately using mature media from other tanks. Try a large water change and check the levels again. You may have to do some water changes daily, but keep checking the levels.

I would remove the floating extra sponge from the tank, as this may be contributing to the ammonia spike.

I would remove the floating extra sponge from the tank, as this may be contributing to the ammonia spike.

Why and how with this happen?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back