Errol went AWOL!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

**sarahp**

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So last night I had one of the most random Saturday nights that I've ever had - either with or without alcohol!!

At 6 o'clock I went up to my office to feed Errol - he wasn't in his tank!! I searched everywhere! To cut a very long story short I stripped the tank down to nothing. Took all the plants out (dug them up so that I could turn them upside down to check for Errol) emptied out all the water, removed the heater and filter he was not there.

So then I started taking the office apart looking for his body. I moved the unit his tank is on, checked little holes, nooks and crannies, no sign.

So then I checked the cat's bed - had she seen him flopping about and tried to eat him - no sign of him anywhere.

By this point my OH had come home with take-out so I stopped to eat, after that I went back upstairs and looked in all the places that I'd already checked but just couldn't find him.

Eventually I gave up looking. I decided to put the tank back together as at least it was all tidy that way and it would mean that the plants and snails would live.

So at 9.30 I'd finished putting the tank back together and I went downstairs with a very heavy heart, wondering what on earth could have happened to Errol :(

At 11 I went to bed, still sad that my little blue boy was no more. On my way to bed I went for one more look round the office to see if I'd missed something.

He was in his tank swimming round!!!!!!!

He looked quite ragged and was a bit lethargic but he was alive!! So I fed him and watched him a while to make sure that I wasn't dreaming!! I was very concerned that he wouldn't make it through the night.

This morning he was still alive and a lot more alert so I think he's going to be ok. As I say he looks a bit ragged and some of his scales on his side look a bit rough but he seems mostly ok.

I have no idea where he was hiding - I can only assume in the sand (its about an inch deep) which would account for his roughed up appearence.

So as I say - a very random Saturday night but at least Errol is alive:-

If you post a pic of your tank we can play " where did Errol hide? "
I love this!

I had this happen many many years ago when I kept a large tank (with totally innapropriate inhabitants thanks to listening to my LFS).
I lost a loach that I adored and took the entire tank apart. The last thing to go was a hollowed out rock that I removed and carried from the study into the kitchen and put into the sink and out swam my loach....into the sink!
I'd looked in that rock already...I have no idea how I missed him.

Fish are tricky!

When I was very young, my family had a 15-gallon aquarium and one of the fish in it was a kuhlie loach (that we called a 'snakefish'). I remember my dad taking everything out of the tank and cleaning the entire thing (I know, bad move) and the loach was nowhere to be found. AFTER A FEW DAYS, he put the tank back together and the loach mysteriously reappeared. Here, we had a ceramic archway with two holes in the bottom. I guess the archway was laid on its side and held water (and the loach!) until it was put back in the tank.

I looked at your previous photos of your tank. My money is on the driftwood!

Mark

Good idea - except I took the drift wood out a few months ago because Errol snagged a fin on it.

Fish are tricky little critters :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back