Epsom Salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

celaeno

Arkangel
Reaction score
i have a female rosy barb that either has bloat or dropsy (i think it's dropsy). i dosed with 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon for 3 days before doing a 100% water change and she's improved somewhat.

was that too high a dose? i read on one website that it should be 1 tsp per gallon and on another website, 1 tsp per 5 gallons. which is the right dose?

also, should i replace some of the salt i take out when i do a water change?

It one teaspoon to a gal.
Yes when you preform a water change just add the correct amount of salt back to water removed.
Water changes get rid of salt when you have finished treating.
http://www.fishjunkies.com/Treatments/salt.php

that site says not to replace the salt when i do a water change.

How bloated is the fish still.
If you can issolate I would try a bacterial med.

the barb has just undergone the first maracyn 2 treatment in a 5 gallon.

That fine then.
Not sure how long you can use epson salt to be honest.
Good luck.

she's sort of 'standing' on her head, with her tail up. is this anything to be worried about?

Well it can be a sign of swim bladder but not sure if barbs do that sometimes.
Have you increased aeration.

I've always started with one teaspoon per 10 gallons, increasing by a teaspoon daily to 3 teaspoons per 10 gallons. This has worked well with angels.

that site says not to replace the salt when i do a water change.

Well, if you are medicating with an antibiotic along with the epsom, and doing daily water changes, you will have taken the epsom out of the water in a few days. With most any antibiotic I suggest a 50% water change daily & remed. Continue treatment for 10-14 days.

Any site can say anything they want, I could switch the pic of my house to say one cup of epsom salt per gallon, it doesn't mean it is a good idea. http://tolak.net/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back