Epsom salt protocol?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jim Sinclair

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for information about Epsom salt baths for goldfish--concentration, duration, frequency? The LFS guy just suggested it for my possibly-constipated fish, but it's been so long since either he or I have used it that neither of us can remember the details.

For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.

Does anyone have a good source for information about Epsom salt baths for goldfish--concentration, duration, frequency? The LFS guy just suggested it for my possibly-constipated fish, but it's been so long since either he or I have used it that neither of us can remember the details.

I always use this method

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isnt that basically what I said in the post above yours?

I didn’t read your response, because it didn’t pertain to me. He was asking for what methods people use.

It also had instructions on Aquarium Salt baths, which could be helpful for fin rot or other wounds. So additional information is included.

You know that sometimes people like to read from several sources, even if they say the same thing. I personally don’t just take the advice of one person, I ask several people and then make a decision. That’s sort of normal.

Yes indeed, I am grateful for multiple sources of information. Thank you to everyone who replied.

I did a ~7 minute bath yesterday with 1 TBSP per gallon and then a rinse. Today I am just doing a regular water change until after I talk to the vet. About to start a new thread with a new picture.

Most reactions

Back