Enough Light?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So currently working on my first Planted Tank, so far everything looks alright but I have a feeling maybe I'm not getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. Its lightly planted right now but by the end of the week, it will be heavily planted.

60 Gallon Tank, (48" Wide, 12" Deep, 24" High)

I have 2 x 18" 15W T8 Daylight (6500k) Bulbs running for 8-9 Hours a day.
The hoods they are in, read 120VAC, 60Hz, 17 W. These are the hoods that came with the tank, and then the lights sit directly on top of the glass covers.

Do you guys think that's enough, if not should I increase the hours, or remove the glass lids or should I invest in LEDS, if I should invest, what are your opinions on this bar, I would buy the 46"-54" Bar. I would remove the hoods, and just have it go the length of the tank, but can I keep the glass lids or should I have them removed as well?

Thank you in advance, sorry for the long post.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XYKD67V/?tag=

vCY7p91.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You have 15watts of light over a tank that is 2 ft high. Unfortunately that is not even close enough to grow anything on the bottom. And I know you have 2 light units, but each light unit only covers half the tank, so you only have 15watts of light over the tank.

My 4ftx2ftx2ft tank had 6 x T8 fluorescent globes running 12-16 hours a day. Four of the globes were 36 watt and 2 globes were 40watt. They all ran the full length of the tank and gave a total of 224watts.

The lights only came on one at a time so the tank didn't go from dark to light with full 224watts. Basically 1 light came on, then 30minutes later another, 30 minutes later another, etc. At night 1 light went off, then 30 minutes later another went off, then 30 minutes later another went off. They went off one at a time until they were all off.

If you want lots of light you want about 300watts of light over the tank. These days I would look at LED spotlights from the hardware or lighting stores. Get 2 x 150watt LED spotlights and mount them above the tank. You will have to remove the hood so the light can get through. Get globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating and suspend them about 6 inches above the tank. You can use wall brackets to hang them from or make up a frame to hang them above the tank.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room lights on, wait 30-60minutes and then have 1 light unit come on. Wait about 60minutes or more before having the other light come on. At night turn 1 light unit off, wait 30-60minutes then turn the room light on. Then turn the second light unit off. Wait 15 minutes or more before turning the room light out.

As usual, thank you very much for the help Colin_T.

So do you think this bar would be good enough then?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XYKD67V/?tag=

If I get the 46" - 54" Bar, the specs are all written on the page, but since it's not waterproof, would it be better to keep the Glass or Should I remove it, do your tanks have no lids?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That light is not suitable, it's only 32 watts, you need 150watts to penetrate the water.
LED strip lights are low wattage and useless at getting light to the bottom of the tank. Spotlights are much better for tall tanks. Two 150watt spotlights, or a 150watt strip light would work.

my tanks have covers to stop the fish from jumping out and to reduce evaporation :)

Minor point on this thread but 2x 15w bulbs gives 30watts of light, not 15 watts.
normally 2 x 15watt lights do make 30watts, however the lights are not over the same area. If both lights were providing illumination to the same area, then there would be 30watts of light over that area. The light units are stretched across the length of the tank so there is only 1 globe providing light over any area. That means it's only 15watts of light.

normally 2 x 15watt lights do make 30watts, however the lights are not over the same area. If both lights were providing illumination to the same area, then there would be 30watts of light over that area. The light units are stretched across the length of the tank so there is only 1 globe providing light over any area. That means it's only 15watts of light.

Point taken. I didn't look closely enough at that photo so I can see your logic. 15 or 30 watts is low either way!

I found a seller who has 4 x 48" Sunblaster Nanotech T5 Reflectors (54Watts each) so I think I'll be going with those, hopefully he doesn't sell them on me.

That should bring my total to 216 Watts and they are at 6400K.

Will just have to figure out the whole lid situation, once I do start introducing fish. At 216 Watts, it shouldn't be a problem to add a glass lid correct?

216 watts of light and 6400K is fine and should work well.

T5 globes do run hotter than T8 globes and you will need to raise the light unit up off the coverglass. It only needs to be 1-2 inches above the cover glass. And if you can drill a couple of 10mm diameter holes in the top of the light unit (above the ends), it will let the heat out above the light unit and cooler air can be drawn under the lights. This will keep the unit and globes cooler and they will last longer. It will also reduce the heat getting onto the cover glass and into the tank.

I use a strip of 1/2 inch square wood to rest the lights on but I only have T8 globes. With T5 globes you should use 1 inch square wood to raise the light unit off the glass.

Most reactions

trending

Back