Endlers Livebearers - Where To Buy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

emilythestrange

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How does everyone else who keep amano shrimp keep them thriving?

I have tried cherry shrimp and amano before, but after a couple of months, they shed their exo skeleton... and then a couple of weeks later they die.

Also i am moving house soon (so not looking forward to moving the tank) and buying a juwel rekord 110L, which is a 10L upgrade (of which is all im allowed). with this new tank having a lid, i can now keep endlers!!! (can't i? check fish in signature) I hope so. However, they are not stocked in any LFS near me... as i only have pets at home sadly... how would i go about getting endlers?

many thanks -_-

The 10 litre upgrade in itself will not make a difference to what you can keep or how many fish you can keep. What is the tank length and width upgrade? Tank length and width are what determines the fish that you can keep and how many of them you can keep.

What are your tank water parameters? Especially interested in GH, KH and nitrate, assuming ammonia and nitrite are always 0 ppm. If you have very soft water, that would explain it. What will the water parameters be in the area where you are moving to?

I would say that you cannot keep endlers as your current stock is poor: it is not fair on your schooling fish to be kept in such small groups. First I would improve it, and only after would I consider adding any more species. If you have soft to neutral water, then I would change it to the following:
* 6 albino Corys of one species
* 6 glowlight tetras
* 6 gold neon tetras
(* 6 black neon tetras)
* 1 male Betta
* 3 amano shrimp

If you have neutral to slightly hard water, then I would change it to the following:
* 8 male platys
* 6 albino Corys of one species
* 1 male Betta
* 3 amano shrimp
* 10 male endlers

If you have gravel, then I would take the opportunity to change it to play sand or sharp sand, as it's easiest to do the change when moving tank.

I know that nitrate is 40ppm, and yes nitrite and ammonia are always 0ppm. On the stocking at the moment is there any room for more fish?
Aquarium Size: 80 x 35 x 45cm external measurements - juwel rekord 110L. My tank at the moment is a B shape, more tall than it is long, and i think that this limits what i can have, as a rectangle shape can house more inches of fish? (think i read it somewhere :blink: )

Never done tests on soft/hard water parameters, sorry

My Amano shrimp have been thriving for 6 months, with no deaths. They've shed a few times, but I assume they hide out under a shell or something, because I've never seen them do it. My tank has a lot of plants, and I only vac the bottom once a month, so they have plenty to eat. Honestly, unless you don't have any hiding spots at all, I'm not sure why they would be dying.

Ive never managed to get them to breed either, somehow. :blink:

My local pets@home just got some Endler males in so perhaps try there.

Amano shrimp are difficult to breed because they need salty water for the immature shrimp but the adults, as you know, are fresh water shrimp, so it's a bit tricky.

I know that nitrate is 40ppm, and yes nitrite and ammonia are always 0ppm. On the stocking at the moment is there any room for more fish?
What is your tap water nitrate and how often do you water change? I always aim to keep nitrate lower than that, so I would consider that there is no room based on that and would try to reduce it down towards 0 ppm (which I do with plants).

Aquarium Size: 80 x 35 x 45cm external measurements - juwel rekord 110L. My tank at the moment is a B shape, more tall than it is long, and i think that this limits what i can have, as a rectangle shape can house more inches of fish? (think i read it somewhere :blink: )
A higher surface area and longer length can increase the number and the biggest size of fish that can be housed in that tank.

Never done tests on soft/hard water parameters, sorry
Try looking up the report from your water company, that should have both types of hardness listed on it.

i have recently brought new plants and already ones been eaten! (i blame the shrimps) haahaa. i will try to dig out my water report, but i dont have a clue where it is , as it was a long time ago. but i do need to know whether i can get endlers, as they are my favourite.
i am considering rehoming the tetras, or increasing the numbers if possible.

water quality in my area:

Hardness Level Hard No Standard Applies
Hardness Clark 15.00 No Standard Applies Degrees Clark
Hardness French 22.00 No Standard Applies French Degrees
Hardness German 12.00 No Standard Applies German Degrees
Aluminium 5.63 200 μgAl/l
Chloride 250 mgCl/l
Chlorine 0.14 No Standard Applies mg/l
Coliform bacteria 0.00 0 no./100ml
Colour 0.44 20 mg/l Pt/Co
Conductivity 490.58 2500 μS/cm at 20°C
E.coli bacteria 0.00 0 no./100ml
Fluoride 0.03 1.5 mgF/l
Iron 10.00 200 μgFe/l
Manganese 1.80 50 μgMn/l
Nitrate 31.65 50 mgNO3/l
Odour 0.00 Acceptable to customers and no abnormal change Dilution Number
Pesticides 0.00 0.5 μg/l
pH 7.36 6.5 - 9.5 pH Value
Sodium 15.75 200 mgNa/l
Taste 0.00 Acceptable to customers and no abnormal change Dilution Number
Plumbing Metals
Copper 0.06 2.0 mgCu/l
Lead 0.64 25 μgPb/l
Nickel 0.93 20 μgNi/l

Live Aquaria had some beautiful endlers, if you are wiling to order online. :)

I just wish i could find some.. Anyone sell on here?

PS im in the UK

aquaria has endlers ive never seen before! :(

found endlers in warrington, 40 miels away is the closest, but the seller wants to seller them in pairs. soo cheap though, 74P each works out to be. If only i could have a endler breeding tank hahaha. or more realistically just the males :)

found endlers in warrington, 40 miels away is the closest, but the seller wants to seller them in pairs. soo cheap though, 74P each works out to be. If only i could have a endler breeding tank hahaha. or more realistically just the males :)

Try Maidenhead Aquatics, on the A38, just north of its junction with the A50. A lot closer to you, and all my local MAs have endlers in stock. Give them a ring first just to check. www.fishkeeper.co.uk

Shrimp like to hide when they're shedding their exoskeleton, whilst the new one hardens up, to protect them from predators - if you don't have any hideyholes for them, perhaps the fish are having a nibble? The other thing to say is that shrimp are also very susceptible to poor water quality.

I would have to say KittyKat had the most to offer on the subject.
The heath of the tank isn't based purely on your readings but rather it includes the attitude and atmosphere of the fish kept.
however allot of additional relevant info did follow.
Thanks for the informative read.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back