FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

spookybetta

Reaction score
i got this male betta a little over a week ago and had him in a 1.5 gal bowl and two days ago i moved him to a 3.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater, my thermometer says the temp is at 81 degrees, but i've noticed a black outline on his tail and it kinda looks like the ends of his fins are a bit tattered, im not sure if i'm being over dramatic or if this is fin rot? please look at the pictures and help!! he's still very active and has plants and i just got him a moss ball. how often should i do water changes? the tank i got came with a one time use of salt, stress coat and quick start so i've had that in for two days. i also put in one tablet of tetra lifeguard two days ago and another one in today.
if this is fin rot, how long do i have to treat it? and what can i do to fix it for cheap?

Attachments

• IMG_3079.JPG
    IMG_3079.JPG
    760.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3080.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_3081.PNG
    IMG_3081.PNG
    467.8 KB · Views: 308
As your filter won't be 'cycled' ( a cycled filter has a colony of good bacteria growing in it; this takes six or eight weeks), you'll need to be doing a lot of water changes.

You really ought to have test kits, for ammonia and nitrite, so you know how much water you need to change; if you don't have those, then you'll need to change at least half the water, every day; making sure the new water is temperature matched and dechlorinated.

You might find that your fish's fins heal up, just with plenty of freshwater. If they don't start to look better after a couple of days, or if they start looking worse, then you'll have to use a proper fin rot medication.

As your filter won't be 'cycled' ( a cycled filter has a colony of good bacteria growing in it; this takes six or eight weeks), you'll need to be doing a lot of water changes.

You really ought to have test kits, for ammonia and nitrite, so you know how much water you need to change; if you don't have those, then you'll need to change at least half the water, every day; making sure the new water is temperature matched and dechlorinated.

You might find that your fish's fins heal up, just with plenty of freshwater. If they don't start to look better after a couple of days, or if they start looking worse, then you'll have to use a proper fin rot medication.

Right now i'm doing 30% water changes every day, i also got tetra easy balance, betta fix, and ammonia neutralizer and tetra betta safe that i'm treating the new water with. Should this work? Do i need to do anything else?

Your tank needs to be cycled, but I suppose it is a step up from a uncycled fish bowl. I do not suspect that is fin rot though. Just watch it and if it gets worse treat it. And while doing water changes make sure you use a water de-chlorinator

Hi
tetra easy balance

Product description
Reduces frequent water changes and keeps your aquarium water biologically balanced for up to 6 months. Formulated to stabilize pH and alkalinity levels vital for fish and plants.
My opinion.
What a load of rubbish, and thats where this product belongs. Clean warm water beats this stuff hands down.

betta fix

Product description.
All natural antibacterial medication for Bettas. For use on wounds, ulcers, mouth fungus and fin and tail rot

My Opinion.
The only thing this rubbish fixes is the manufacturers bank balance. Lots of clean warm water beats this rubbish hands down.

and ammonia neutralize
No idea what you are using so I can't comment.

tetra betta safe t

Product description
BettaSafe™ Water Care is an all-in-one formula that works to keep your aquarium water safe and healthy for your Betta. This easy-to-use conditioner detoxifies harmful ammonia in tap water, neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals, and features stress reducing slime.

This product is OK and would be the only thing I use. It kills ammonia chlorine chloramine and heavy metals.

Fin-rot is the direct result of poor water conditions. Normally all you need to treat fin-rot is lots of warm treated water and sometimes a bit of aquarium salt,

I just read about betta safe as well and once i found that out looked at my betta and today he developed a large tear in his fin! So right now i'm doing a 50% water change hopefully to get rid of some of the betta fix and i used some bottled water as well in the mix. I really hope this will help him because as of now he's getting worse.

Sam's choice purified drinking water. I made sure to condition and treat it as well, because it was mixed with tap water too.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    676.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    655.9 KB · Views: 351

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back