EMERGENCY: Honey gourami with a lip bleed and warts on her lip. (Well it looks like that to me.)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You have 2 male dwarf gouramis. The striped one is the natural colour, the other one is a stressed male of the man made so-called sunset variety (man made by selective breeding). You can see photos of both colours here, images 1 and 3. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius/
Neither of them is a honey gourami of either sex or any colour morph.

Dwarf gouramis are at the more aggressive end of the gourami spectrum and the reason the striped one has been picking on the red one is because despite the tank being large he thinks the whole 60 gallons are his, and his alone. He objects to sharing the tank with another male dwarf gourami.
And possibly the red one is starting to exhibit symptoms of the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus that so many dwarf gouramis already have by the time they reach the shop

The striped one will continue to pick on the red one for as long as they share a tank, and this does not bode well for the red one. If you want to save the red one, he will need to go in a separate tank, I'm afraid.

You have 2 male dwarf gouramis. The striped one is the natural colour, the other one is a stressed male of the man made so-called sunset variety (man made by selective breeding). You can see photos of both colours here, images 1 and 3. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius/
Neither of them is a honey gourami of either sex or any colour morph.

Dwarf gouramis are at the more aggressive end of the gourami spectrum and the reason the striped one has been picking on the red one is because despite the tank being large he thinks the whole 60 gallons are his, and his alone. He objects to sharing the tank with another male dwarf gourami.

The striped one will continue to pick on the red one for as long as they share a tank, and this does not bode well for the red one. If you want to save the red one, he will need to go in a separate tank, I'm afraid.

Okay, is 45 gallons enough for the sunset one? If not is 50g?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that would be fine for 1 male as the only one in the tank. They can go in as small as 20 gallons.

But you need to keep an eye on him just in case it turns out to be the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus.

Yes, that would be fine for 1 male as the only one in the tank. They can go in as small as 20 gallons.

But you need to keep an eye on him just in case it turns out to be the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus.

Will do! I only have one 20g tank which is currently being used, so I will have to use my 45 gallon tanks. Thanks [emoji4]

Then I have 2 of these (so called Honey gourami.) Only got a picture of one. The other one likes to hide in plants/caves so I couldn't find him.

I've just realised I haven't commented on the fact you have 2 fish you thought were honey gouramis.

Is the one that was hiding exactly the same as the sick one? If yes, then it is another male dwarf gourami and should also be removed from the tank - but not to the same tank as the sick one. The fact that the third gourami is hiding does suggest it is also being bullied by the striped one.
If you put the 2 "honey gouramis", which are actually male sunset dwarf gouramis, in the same tank, then one will become the dominant fish in there and bully the other.

I've just realised I haven't commented on the fact you have 2 fish you thought were honey gouramis.

Is the one that was hiding exactly the same as the sick one? If yes, then it is another male dwarf gourami and should also be removed from the tank - but not to the same tank as the sick one. The fact that the third gourami is hiding does suggest it is also be bullied by the striped one.
If you put the 2 "honey gouramis", which are actually male sunset dwarf gouramis, in the same tank, then one will become the dominant fish in there and bully the other.

Already put the ("ill honey gourami") sunset gourami in a different tank. He/She is in a 75 gallon with loads of corys. He/she has stopped hiding now and is swimming around happily. The dwarf stripy rainbow gourami is trying to find something to pick on but there isn't anything. He's attacking the plants, he is an evil maniac [emoji23]

Most reactions

Back