EMERGENCY: Honey gourami with a lip bleed and warts on her lip. (Well it looks like that to me.)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Karen_2656

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Basically one of my honey gouramis has produced a lip bleed and warts on her lip, yesterday it wasn't to bad but now it's gone extreme: Please help.
98e14304c9f9264a7b162a93ae6ecaa9.jpg

What should I do?
Her tanks mates are one dwarf rainbow and two honey gouramis (2 including her)
Tank is a 60 gallon and there is quite a lot of live plants in the tank. Please help because I really don't want this to result in death.

(Tanks been up and running for 1 year and 11 months.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
there are a couple things, one thing I have had happen with gouramis are tumours, yes, fish can get cancer, and this is somewhat what it looks like. With a turnout there isnā€™t anything you can do, but sometimes it doesnā€™t effect the fish much, I had a betta with a tomour that lived 5 years. It also could be an injury from locking lips with another gourami. in that case iā€™d treat it with salt and malefix.

there are a couple things, one thing I have had happen with gouramis are tumours, yes, fish can get cancer, and this is somewhat what it looks like. With a turnout there isnā€™t anything you can do, but sometimes it doesnā€™t effect the fish much, I had a betta with a tomour that lived 5 years. It also could be an injury from locking lips with another gourami. in that case iā€™d treat it with salt and malefix.

My poor baby [emoji20] I'll do everything I can to help my gourami. Thanks for the advice :)

Just to let you know, I wouldn't use melafix for gouramis. This can cause damage to the labyrinth organ that they need to breathe. They are in the same family as bettas.

Just to let you know, I wouldn't use melafix for gouramis. This can cause damage to the labyrinth organ that they need to breathe. They are in the same family as bettas.

Oh god. Already done it. [emoji20] Will she die??

The melafix won't kill her instantly but I would do a big water change to remove most of it.

The medications that end in -fix (melafix, pimafix and bettafix) contain aromatic oils, and these oils are what harm the labyrinth organ.
Melafix and betta fix (which is dilute melafix) contain "melaleuca as cajeput oil" and pimafix contains bay oil [from the safety data sheets on API's website]

The melafix won't kill her instantly but I would do a big water change to remove most of it.

The medications that end in -fix (melafix, pimafix and bettafix) contain aromatic oils, and these oils are what harm the labyrinth organ.
Melafix and betta fix (which is dilute melafix) contain "melaleuca as cajeput oil" and pimafix contains bay oil [from the safety data sheets on API's website]

Right, I can see her struggling. Will do 100% tank change and another 50% to be sure so basically a 150% change. No fish dies!

Just to add that melafix is better used as a preventative if a fish is damaged - though not with labyrinth fish. Like with us, if we cut our hand, we might use an antiseptic to clean it, but if it got infected, we'd need something stronger than an antiseptic to cure it.

Just to add that melafix is better used as a preventative if a fish is damaged - though not with labyrinth fish. Like with us, if we cut our hand, we might use an antiseptic to clean it, but if it got infected, we'd need something stronger than an antiseptic to cure it.

Thanks will update you when I've done my tank change [emoji4]

Took a while but I have now finished by 150% tank change.
Honey gourami seems to have healed. This is weird. She has just lost a bit of her top fin, I think the rainbow dwarf found her in her special plant and attacked. Still surprised of how she is pitch perfect again. (Except for top fin obviously.) This is her now:

d02f168bdb789122476cc83ea599c8b9.jpg

Are you sure that's a honey gourami? I have never seen one, male of female, with blue like that. Of course it could just be a photo effect and there's no blue there in the flesh.

You call the other one a rainbow gourami - is that the tail in the photo in your first post? That looks like the tail of a male dwarf gourami of the natural coloured variety. Thg one that has been sick looks a lot like a male dwarf gourami of the 'sunset' colour morph.

Could you post photos of both these fish side on with the whole fish in the photo please, then we can be sure what we are talking about. If it does turn out to be 2 male dwarfs, that could be the problem even in a 60 gallon tank as these are aggressive fish. The stripey male could also take against another gourami, male or female, of a different species.

Are you sure that's a honey gourami? I have never seen one, male of female, with blue like that. Of course it could just be a photo effect and there's no blue there in the flesh.

You call the other one a rainbow gourami - is that the tail in the photo in your first post? That looks like the tail of a male dwarf gourami of the natural coloured variety. Thg one that has been sick looks a lot like a male dwarf gourami of the 'sunset' colour morph.

Could you post photos of both these fish side on with the whole fish in the photo please, then we can be sure what we are talking about. If it does turn out to be 2 male dwarfs, that could be the problem even in a 60 gallon tank as these are aggressive fish. The stripey male could also take against another gourami, male or female, of a different species.

This is the dwarf gourami:
98d84658592fccb80fe1dff60181887b.jpg

Then I have 2 of these (so called Honey gourami.) Only got a picture of one. The other one likes to hide in plants/caves so I couldn't find him. Here is a picture of the sick one:

af8cec38ccb4d7b203f1ff63cac46836.jpg

a64317331ddf7643bdd5a7272520e34e.jpg

Sorry about all the the bits flying around, as you know I have done a 150% tank change.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back