Emergency. Betta very sick!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shaki_Fan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new and have a fishy emergency. My baby boy has been acting very sick since yesterday morning. It has been a day and a half so far that he appears to be in distress. He is top-heavy and sinks to the bottom of his tank, and darts quickly to the surface to gulp air often. When he is at the bottom, he is on his side panting. He also tries to climb his log... yes he climbs it! Trying to get on top of it to keep his head out of the water. It is as though that is his only way of breathing. I have never seen this in any of my bed is and I spoke to three different people at a pet store and they have no clue.

Tank details: he is in a 2.5 gallon square aquarium with an LED light above. No filter. He has an under gravel filter and his temperature stays at 80° to 81°F. He has gravel and a fake plant plus a leaf hammoc and his floating log. I got his water tested this morning and there is nothing wrong with it. I did a partial water change just in case.

What I have done so far: at first I suspected constipation ( pressing on his swim bladder) because that had happened to him before. I fed him peas yesterday and this morning but his condition has not changed. I have added some aquarium salt and Melafix to his water as well. Because of his gasping, I'm wondering if it is his gills... I looked at him carefully and he doesn't have anything visibly wrong. No fungus, parasite, injury, etc. He is just very top-heavy and needs to stay at the surface gulping air.

What do I do?? He is suffering terribly and I feel so very bad for him. He is three years old so it could be age, but this happened very suddenly! Please, anything else that I can do let me know. I'll do anything for my baby boy!

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit my post...

I meant to say that he does not have a filter but he does have an under gravel heater.

Hi

Do a few water changes to get rid of the aquarium salt, It wont help same for melafix at best these things are for external issues.

Have you tried fasting him?
Can you provide a photo of the fish?

Oh ok I'll change water again! He is lying on his side inside his log right now. Panting. Goes up to gulp air pretty often. Pictures attached.

I just bought an API medication that treats bacterial infections. Internal and external. Should I use it? I'm trying to think of everything/anything.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that he has a tumour on one side. He has lived about six months with it. I will wait for him to move to post another picture because it's on the side he is lying on. Grew for a while and then stopped and it looks like it has grown a bit more recently. But again he fell sick very suddenly so I don't know if that's what it's doing him in. :(

Attachments

• IMG_7160.JPG
    IMG_7160.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7161.JPG
    IMG_7161.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 185
And yes, I have fasted him since seeing him sick yesterday morning. No food other than a few tiny pieces of peas. He just pooped twice in the last couple of hours. Last time when he was constipated, pooping had made him feel better pretty fast. But he Didn't get better this time.

IMG_7163.JPG
3bb65336f3e62f5b550dc3e7048700be.jpg

This picture was just taken from the top looking down at him. The hole he's in is at the top of his log and he somehow managed to climb into it so his rump is resting on top of the log and his head is hanging/floating in the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back