Emerald Cory Cat Is Chewing On Male Betta's Tail Fin?

CorydorasLover

Reaction score
To start, I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 male betta (Loki) and 3 cory catfish: a peppered, an emerald, and an albino. (Heimdall, Doc & Peach.)

At first, I had only Loki and the peppered (Heimdall) for several months together in the tank. They were content, but I'd been urged to add several more corys to the tank as they are schooling fish. Monday, (03/03/14), I added the albino and emerald to the tank. They all seemed to be getting along great until this morning. I caught the emerald chewing on the tail fin of my betta. I'd already fed them once for the day with an algea pellet for each cory, and a small shake of betta food for Loki.

I returned this evening, to find the emerald once again chewing on Loki's tail. So, I tapped on the glass and it stopped long enough for me to throw more food pellets in the tank for them. So, now they've all been fed twice, and were seemingly content. Loki was on the other side of the tank from where the food pellets are when the emerald once again, swam over to Loki and started to nibble on his tail fins.

Should I be concerned, and remove the emerald from the tank, or should I keep watching them to see if it's just a phase? I've already had an incident with Loki losing all of his fins due to other fish beating up on him. For being a betta, he's extremely laid back, and isn't reacting to the cory chewing on his tail.

I'd been told that Corys were the best to put in the tank with Loki as they are bottom feeders, and are (typically) non aggressive. I'm really hoping I don't have to return or find a new home for Doc as I find him rather pretty and I like having the diversity of the different corys in my tank.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be caushing him to chew on Loki's fins, and what I can do to stop him from chewing on the fins other than getting rid of him?

That is extremely odd, I have never heard of a cory doing anything like that D:

I'd remove him, sorry to say. I'd remove the rest as well..the reason being they all get too big for a 10g.

I'm sorry you probably don't want to hear that but yeah :c If you can find pygmy, hastatus, or habrosus cories, those are a better fit for the 10g.

The peppered will get too big as well? I have a friend I can give them to thankfully if that's what it comes down to who has a 65 gallon in the middle of set up and cycling as well as a 35 gallon that already has several emeralds in it. He was actually the one to suggest getting the emerald and albino.

The peppered hasn't gotten much bigger since I got him. Maybe a half inch or so.

Gah... This tank has been serious trial and error...

Is it a peppered or salt & pepper? Salt & pepper are habrosus cories and fit in this size tank, peppered get like 4" I think.

That's great you have a friend that can take them :)

Don't worry about it, it sounds like you've gotten off to a much better start than most people. Did you cycle it btw?

Keep some of the Cory's and give the Betta away .   
yes.gif
  Hee hee .

wat100 said:
Keep some of the Cory's and give the Betta away .   :nod:  Hee hee .
The problem with this is that they are not suitable for a ten gallon. Not are they all the same species so there would need to be more of each species to make separate schools.
Also, if your fish are in the tank featured in your profile pic, OP, then they ought not to be on gravel as it can damage their delicate barbels.

I am with you all of the way you are right  with all of the above  ," No " Cory should be keep on gravel . Also do not use Play sand it looks clean but it is not , even after it been washed over and over again .  Only use Aquatic sand and Man made rocks if you want your Cory to live .
The way around this one is buy another Tank for the Cory's , a big one so you can keep a lot more . 
yes.gif

Play sand is acceptable. It is a cheaper option and safe as long as you don't pick up a bag that's been too exposed to the elements. It's always a good idea to rinse the sand thoroughly. Most sand is t treated with anything to make it harmful.

Natural stones, too, are safe, especially those found in rivers and have been treated with hydrogen peroxide or have been soaked in hot water.

Can I just say this is only from my personal experience and I am only trying to help , I have found the B&Q sand to be full of dirt and bits of black stuff . After taking it back I found the second bag to be the same , so it went on the garden .  Most Building sands contain salt and silica harmful to Corydoras .
So my personal view is it best to play it safe and if you start off right you will have few problems along the way 
cool1.gif
I am not playing any more , I am taking my ball back .    
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back