Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ember Tetra

Discussion in 'Characins' started by Jonty, May 16, 2010.

1. Jonty

Jonty Member

Common name/s: Ember Tetra

Scientific name: Hyphessobrycon amandae

Family: Characidae

Origin: South America

Maximum size: 2 cm

Care: Since they are small these fish can be kept in tanks as small as 25 litres. Ember Tetras will loosely shoal in groups of 6 or more. They can look 'washed out' under bright lighting or when stressed, so a dark substrate and lots of plants are preferred. Because of their tiny size they shouldn't be kept with anything bigger than 3 inches, as they could become lunch! They prefer PH of 6.5 - 7.2, but I'm keeping mine at 7.8 with no ill effects. Temperate should be 24-27°C

Feeding: These are mid-water fish and generally take food as it begins to sink, so small slow-sinking pellets/granules are recommended over flakes. Some flakes are too big for them to eat. Mine LOVE bloodworm, but make sure they're not too big.

Sexing and breeding: Once mature males will be a deeper copper colour than the females, who can be almost see-through. To breed them you'll need to set up a separate tank around 18" x 10" x 10". This should have very subdued lighting and contain spawning mops and lots of fine-leaved plants. The water should be soft and have a PH of 5.2-6.4,, with a temperature of around 24-27°C. You can filter the water through peat if needs be. A small sponge filter will be sufficient. Condition the most colourful male and the female with the most eggs on live foods for 2-3 weeks beforehand. The parents will eat the eggs so remove them as soon as you see any. Eggs hatch after 1 day, and fry are free-swimming after 4-5 days. Feed on infusoria or filter squeezing until they can accept BBS.

Comments: A lovely fish that looks really good in a planted tank. People say they can be hard to locate, but every Maidenhead Aquatics I've been to has stocked them.

Attached Files: