Elephant fish not eating need help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Elephantnose200

Reaction score
I recently bought an elephant fish from a local pet store to add to my tank. The woman who worked there said that they will eat freeze dried blood worms and I also read that they may eat flakes as well. My elephant fish is not eating although it shows interest in the worms. Iā€™m worried it starve and am trying to figure out how to keep my little guy alive. Any suggestions? I made sure water conditions where prefect before I added it and itā€™s tank mates are gouramis, 3 tetra and some smaller bottom feeder that I received as a gift. It has plenty of plants and caves to hide in and Iā€™m researching as much as I can to keep him alive and thriving.

I have only had him for a couple days but anytime I get new fish they always eat the first day. I also read that they might eat pellet and I tried that but so far has not worked. I feed him at night but donā€™t see him eating just looking at it and swimming away. My tank is a 75 gal and he is about 3ā€™ inchā€™s

A few years ago I saw an elephant nose at the LFS and thought it was so cool so I researched it and after that I decided never to get one. They are highly specialized fish that should only be kept by experienced fishkeepers prepared to provide live foods and a dark tank. In nature they inhabit slow moving black water systems densely packed with algae, plants and rotting wood searching endlessly for worms, insects and tiny organisms to eat. I think they need a species tank designed for them.

If you canā€™t return it you should add loads of floating plants with deep roots and wood with many places for it to hide and start feeding it live foods like black worms, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae and the like. I read that they can be conditioned to frozen food but you must start with live foods. Also a soft substrate is a must as it uses the nose to search the sandy bottom for food. And if your goirami are too active they will bully it and out compete it for any food you provide. They are also strictly nocturnal so you have to feed them at night and keep the light during the day subdued.

Iā€™m sorry if this is harsh but this is a species I wish they would stop selling in pet stores.

As mentioned by Stanleo, change their food to live and frozen food. Elephant nose fish will not normally take dry food or food on the surface. Live blackworm, brineshrimp & daphnia. Frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp & prawn can all be tried.

Don't worry too much about fish starving. Fish do not need to eat to keep warm. The food they eat is used to move and grow. They can go for weeks or even months with no food and still be fine.

Make sure their water quality is good because they are considered scaleless fish. They have no scales and their skin can be damaged easily by poor water quality.

Also my tetras are pretty nice to the other fish and my tank size is 70 gallons. Iā€™m also looking for other cool fish that I can add to my tank. I normally do cichlid tanks but this is my second peaceful tank and Iā€™m Venturing out with the types of fish I own. Iā€™m also thinking about trying frozen brine shrimp cubes to feed my elephant nose fish would this be a good idea?

Ok thank you your replies just showed up. I typical always research my fish before I buy them but decided to trust my local LFS because they said that the elephant nose fish is sold very. I will look in to purchasing a tank for it and what fish could I add in with it?

Also the my tank size is 75 but I accidentally said 70 on the other one. Thank you for your help and sorry if I post stuff that you already answered, my internet keeps going down so replies donā€™t show for awhile.

Thanks for all the help I feel bad for it because they fish store has it in a brightly lit tank with no hiding places. It swims around my tank and acts fine it must just not like the food Iā€™m feeding it. I will switch to live.

Try frozen food first. You don't want fish to rely purely on live foods because if you ever have trouble getting live food, the fish might go on a hunger strike. Frozen bloodworm will be taken by most fish, as will brineshrimp and prawn. With prawn just buy some raw prawn (preferably frozen) and keep them in the freezer. Take one out and defrost it, and remove the head, shell and gut (thin dark tube that normally comes out when you pull the head off). Then use a pair of scissors and cut a few small bits off the body and offer to the fish. Let them eat the prawn then cut a few more bits and offer it to them. Do this until they are full.
Once the fish have eaten their fill, throw the remaining prawn out and wash up with warm soapy water. Use non perfumed soap on the scissors so no residue is left on them that might poison the fish.

If you can get it onto frozen food then you can feed live food once a week to give it a treat.

Thanks! Iā€™ve been trying to find other fish that are compatible with him do you have any suggestions? I read that they do better in groups of 5 but my tank canā€™t hold that many. You are very helpful and I appreciate all the advice you are giving me. Iā€™m gettin the food for him today.

I have 3 gouramis, 3 tetras and a small bottom feeder I received as a gift. I LOVE gouramis and was told my tank could hold three without them picking on each other is this true? Other wise I am interested in getting more. Also an update on my elephant fish it is eating! I bought sand for my aquarium and everything is going well so far! My tank size it 75 gal. Thanks again for you amazing help if you have any more suggestions just let me know!

Just out of curiosity, how long has the tank been set up for?

What sort of gouramis and tetras do you have?

The tank has been set up for two months with fish and a few weeks before with only plants and I have 3 Dwarf gouramis and three black skirt tetras. If I can I would really like to add more gouramis If you think I could. I have been taking my fish tank slow to make sure that all my fish stay healthy. The fish I get would have to be small enough to be quarantined in my 30 gal tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back