Elderly betta skittish and not eating

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Susiestar

Reaction score
My friend gave me a female betta a few months ago because she'd been in a sorority and was too agressive with the others. She said the fish was about 3-4 years old. Within the past week I was feeding her the usual omega one betta pellets and she seemed to have, what I can only describe as, trouble chewing the pellets. She would end up spitting it out then see it again and attempt to eat it again. I went and bought some omega one frozen brine shrimp in hopes she would eat that, and the first time she tried, but I am not sure if she was able to swallow. She is usually a pig, so it is unusal for her not to eat, but otherwise she shows no signs of illness. When it came to the second time to feed her the second she saw me start to put food in she darted to the bottom (like I had scared her) and laid motionless on the bottom of the tank for a while, and the same thing happened today.

Water parameters: I haven't checked recently and am unable right now, but there are 0 signs of anything being off in the water.

How often you do water changes and how much: Every week I change about 2/20 gallons of the tank.

Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water: I mostly use stress coat to treat the water, I have root tabs for my live plants, and dose with API leaf zone about weekly.

What tank mates are in the tank: The tank is divided, on her half I just have her and a pleco, and on the other side I have my male betta, two cories, and three Amano shrimp, all of which could not be acting more normal.

Tank size: 20 gallon high

Finally Have you recently added any new fish: A few weeks ago I brought home two cories and two more shrimp, but i got them from an extremely reliable place, and I know they dont have anything to do with her behavior.

I have two filters on the tank (a HOB and an internal filter with just a sponge), one for each side of the tank although the diver fully allows the water to flow through it. The tank also has a heater on it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back