Eheim Vs Fluval

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Flinkbag

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all! 

Im new to this forum, so hopefully I haven't asked this question in the wrong section. 

SO. I bought a second hand 4ft tank a few months ago with small to medium sized fish. My problem is that I had an AquaOne nautilus 1100 external canister filter that, when i took it out to clean, i accidentally broke the impeller D: Im now currently using a crappy Blue Planet Tank Maid 1500 internal filter thats noisy as all get out and will rattle like crazy a few days after I've cleaned it. This is a back-up filter and was never intended to be used as long as it has been. Its too small for my tank, and i recently had a massive ammonia spike because of its size (god knows what else i did to cause that spike, but regardless, within a few days the water has returned to 95% clarity). 

Im looking for a high quality external canister filter that will hopefully prevent ammonia spikes like that from happening and will keep the water clear and healthy. Im happy to pay around $200+ AUD for a filter that is going to last me a good couple of years. I am also looking for a filter that is relatively easy to clean. The AquaOne (which is a terrible brand, do not recommend) didn't have ANY shut off valves, so when i tried to detach the hoses, lets just say i was cleaning up the mess for a good hour or two D: 

So to sum it up, I just want a good quality filter that'll be relatively easy to clean, is good value for money, is QUIET and will last. I've been tossing up between the Eheim classic 2215/17, or the fluval 206/306. Im leaning towards the Eheim because you can see inside the canister, and can tell when it needs cleaning, and seems to have fewer problems compared to the Fluval. Has anyone had any experience with either or BOTH of these filters? If so, I'd love completely honest opinions about them, pros and cons :)

I have not used the Classic, but I have had three Eheim Pro II canisters since 1996/1998 and they are still running without issues, ever.  Eheim is simply reliable, they have the long track record to prove it.  Fluval may be a useable filter, but it is not in the same league.

I also have a Rena (now API) Filstar XP3 canister, since 2009.  It has performed well, but this brand has not been around anywhere near as long as Eheim, so it is difficult to say if it will be as reliable.  I only got the Rena because no one locally carried Eheim then.  Rena is generally considered above Fluval, which is why I choose it.  All things considered, I would choose Eheim if I needed another canister now.  I will only buy Eheim heaters now, and recently came across the Mini internal sponge filter which is amazing for smaller tanks.

As you can see, I like Eheim.

Byron.

Thanks for the honest opinion Fish Herder! I have decided to go with an Eheim filter over a Fluval filter after doing an extensive amount of research on both. :) 

Also, love your quotes man, couldn't have said it better myself :)

Eheim all the way.

I run two eheim externals on my 600l tank.  They have both been running for years, are low maintenance (maybe every 5 - 6 months) and are whisper quiet.

I have a pro 3e which even purges any excess air in the canister automatically and a pro 3 thermo which has a built in heater, hence less equipment within the tank.

I have used fluval 205 and 305 in the past and can say that they need very regular maintenance and are not built as robustly as the eheim counterparts.

I like eheim.it's what my tank is.I have never used there filters.I have only ever used fluval and never had a problem.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Definitely going with Eheim! :D Im really glad to hear they're whisper quiet, because oh man, this crappy internal filter is so noisy, you can hear it from downstairs! Now I've just gotta find someone who actually supplies Eheim in my state D: 

And Bricko, that built-in heater sounds amazing! so much less hassle :) 

And Bricko, that built-in heater sounds amazing! so much less hassle 
smile.png

I didn't mention the internal heating option previously because I wasn't sure if the Eheim Classic models have this option.  But one of my Pro II's has the heating element and I like it very much.  No in-tank heaters, plus the water temperature is as consistent as it possibly can be.  The tank temperature never varies by more than a couple decimal places (1/10 of 1 degree) from the set temperature.  This unit has been running continuously since I bought it in 1998.  B.

Thats amazing Byron! Well i got my Eheim classic 350 as they're called here. Im super impressed with it! Water is really clear, and it runs very quietly :) (i didn't think it was on at first haha!) Its very powerful too, such a nice flow of water that really oxygenates my tank! It was pricey, but hopefully in the long run, it'll be totally worth it :) 

Thank you so much for the help everyone! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back