Eheim, Fluval Or Tetratec External Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jamesmacc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi folks, going to order my lights and external filter for my tank this weekend. im looking at either the eheim 2217, the tetratec ex1200 which i have heard the old models leaked badly after a year wich scares the crap out of me because its going in a brand new house, or the fluval g6 wich looks an absolute beauty and is £350. the tank is a 385 litre 50x18x26. im also abit confused by what media would be best to put in it, there's so much to choose from and im still spending most of my spare time doing research on the fish i plan to keep in the tank, i hate being a beginner :(
thanks, james

The leaking ex1200 issue was sorted by a new hose adaptor which has two seals. The new ones seem to be bullet proof. :good: If buying new then don't worry about that issue.

Alot of people swear by the Eheim's, and i am yet to try one, but wish to in the future. As for the G6, very unknown territory. I would use one of the tried and tested models incase these develop any issues later on in life. Also for £350 you could have 3 ex1200's!!

I would go for two externals to split the load and cover any failure which may occur along the line. At least if one goes you do not loose all of your good stuff. I have got a Fluval 405 which has been runing for over 1 year with no problems (touch wood). It is a good solid filter but the media you get from new is not very ranging. My trays are full of biomax at the moment. I also have a Aqua One 1250 which although has only been running for a couple of weeks seems like a very good quality filter. They have a good design and the media you get in the box is great.

Yes Fluval are very tight with the media that they include! My ex1200's are choc-a-bloc with media, ranging from ceramic bio-rings, plastic balls, carbon bags, foam, sponge and filter floss/wool.

my eheim 2213 has been great. it has to be primed absolutely perfectly though, or else it will make some noise. mine was running silent, then we had a power cut, and when the power came back on the filter was making a racket. obviously the water flow got interrupted.

i just spent an hour solid reading reviews and everyone seems to love the eheim 2217, i have found the plus model that comes with media and taps, hoses etc for £92 delivered, can some one please check the link and make sure its all there, will i need any extra media or is the included media good?
cheers. james

today is the day, got the wallet open and ready, do i buy the eheim 2217 or the tetratec ex1200? they both look good, ehemim has a realy good name but the ex1200 holds more media i think

Never experienced eheim filters but the ex1200's are great pieces of kit. Everyone who has used the 2217 say it is excellent also.

Decisions decisions. Go for which ever has the higher flow rate imo. If the same then go for the cheapest :lol:

the ex1200 is 1200 lph and the 2217 is 1000. man there is sooo many decisions in fish keeping, i thought leaving the whole car tuning scene and going for a tropical tank would be cheaper and easyer, untill i started reserching oops. oh well im still realy excited about my tank arriving so i can get it fitted and cycled

You'll get a better flow rate the the Eheim, but the cost difference is something to consider.

Eheim usually test with media in, TetraTec test without media. I have 3 ex1200's and can't fault them 1 bit. Rate them very highly, certainly better quality than Fluval 05 series externals.

You will be amazed by the amount of media inside a 1200. :good:

Tizer is also running 2 1200's and is very pleased with them.

i have found them both for the same price, i think the ex1200 holds more media but the eheim has such a good rep. i think the storys of the old ex1200 leaking is what is putting me off slighly, the auto prime function on the ex1200 would be handy though, how would i prime the eheim, fill it to the top with tank water and switch it on? i do like the simplicity of the 2217 though, there doesnt look like there is much to go wrong

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back