Eggs - Hatching And Raising

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Probably seen in my other threads i have been looking at new fish i could buy and 2 i have bought are Nothobranchius rachovii.

Anyway, As ive been looking around ive found out that you can buy eggs and raise them, Which sounds quite exiting and i would love to give this a go!

Is it easy to do? Any good websites withe the best way to do it?

I like the look of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221136216940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thank you :)

I have just purchased my first eggs today that are described as "15+ Fundulopanchax gardneri "gold" killifish (killiefish) eggs and microworms". Gardneri were recommended to me as an ideal starter fish and are not to expensive, i got mine for £7.50 (bidding) but the normal fish (not the gold variant) are currently being sold for £7 including P&P. I figure the small amount of money is not much to lose. You can buy a starter culture of microworms (sometimes come free) to feed them on or baby brine shrimp can also be used. There are plenty of helpful guides on the net and the seller usually emails one themselves. Just remember to check if they are ready to hatch. :good:

Thanks for responding, What are you going to put the eggs into? I read a container with soil?

I wrote to the seller asking about incubation time and he said once they arrive mine will need about a week in a dark, warm space. I plan on leaving them in the original packaging in my room (always warm) for a week before hatching them out. The worst part will be having them there while I have to wait :drool:

Edit: I forgot to mention, the site I bought them off and the others are on is eBay

Have you got a link you bought them from. Once hatched do they then go into a tank?

The one I purchased was a one of thing but I imagine they will have more, they do not appear to be a professional shop: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/turner-aquatics?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
This is the other place you can buy the normal strain: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fp-gardneri-Lafia-gold-Killifish-killiefish-eggs-/110957575258?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item19d5963c5a&_uhb=1

The second ships from Malta But are advertised for Britain and have good reviews.

I am in the uk so if you live somewhere else you will need to check yourself, just type gardneri into the eBay search engine.

Thank you mate :) Once they hatch do you then place them into the tank?

Pretty sure they are triggered to hatch by putting them in a tank of water (preferable to simulate rainfall by pouring water over them gently), according to what i have read you then raise them in this tank until ready to move them. Bear in mind all eggs might not hatch in one go so if they are annual killi's (which Gardneri are not i believe) you should save the medium containing the eggs until a couple of weeks later, when you can try it again.

If i am correct the ones i get should be ready to hatch around the end of this month so i guess i will find out then

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back