egg sacks in the water after Prazi Pro ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Glenn Cooper

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could identify what I'm finding in my tank. Juvenile oscar stopped eating and I noticed thin, white secretions protruding from anus. I treated tank with Prazi Pro and after first treament I'm finding strange white sacks in the filter and in the substrate. I'm enclosing photo for possible identification. Pod is in plant stems. Oscar has still not eaten but externally seems fine. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_03091.JPG
    IMG_03091.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 172
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

They could be mucous from the fish's intestine (intestinal lining) or something else from the tank.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day you aren't treating the fish. Do this for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

If the fish doesn't take dry foods try live feeder fish like Gambusia and glass shrimp.

It looks like intestinal lining to me too, but the shape is a bit odd and throwing me off a little to say for certain.

I'm finding a lot of them floating around. Will do a water change after 2nd treatment complete. Very strange indeed. Thanks

Have you got any snails in the tank?
They could be bits of jelly case from snail eggs

What are you trying to treat the fish for?
Prazipro contains Praziquantel that treats tapeworm and gill flukes. You do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate 24 hours after treating. Repeat treatment once a week for 3 weeks.

Tapeworm normally cause fish to lose weight over time.
Gill flukes damage the gills and cause the fish to become anaemic and have trouble breathing.

If the fish isn't eating then it is either poor water quality, bad food or an internal bacterial or protozoan infection.

Have you tried offering the fish live food like brineshrimp, glass shrimp or some small fish?

If the fish has an internal protozoan infection you can try Metronidazole.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back