Egg Bound? Dropsy? Or Something Else?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Notypicalblonde

Reaction score
Hi all, wanted some advice/help. Yesterday I picked up two females I had bought two weeks prior to put in my son's new cycled empty tank. The seller says that one of them has become "egg bound" due to "stress" of being keep an extra day in partitioned tank next to male. When I took them home one appears fine but the "egg bound" one was just lying often on side, on bottom of bag. Since being added to a 30 litre tank just with other female only, with water parameters testing fine, she is not looking great. She is just lying on bottom or on leaves and only quickly darting up for air and straight back to lie down. It's doesn't appear well at all... Advice???? BTW I did look up egg bloat online and all the info I read said that it would actually be something resolved by being in visible presence of male, not what causes it.... So little confused on this conflicting information... there is no visible pineconing that. I can see either. I have now I placed her in a floating breeding chamber so she doesn't have so far to go for air as it's a rather tall tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 225
First of all, welcome to the forums.

Second, can you get a picture of the fish from the top? When you say this is a cycled tank, how did you cycle it? What are your specific water parameters; do you test with strips or drops?

Third, a thirty liter is not an appropriate size for more than one betta. Females need to be kept in a minimum of ten gallons (though twenty is ideal) and it needs to be heavily planted with plenty of hiding spaces.

From the picture, the betta just looks chunky. I've got a couple who look like this in my sorority. She could just be very stressed from being out in the open.

From the picture it does not really look like an "egg bound" female.  She does look a bit on the chunky side from the pic but it is really hard to tell with the way she is laying.  
A picture taken from straight over top of her would be the best and a good side shot if you can get one without her laying on the bottom. 

What is the temperature of the tank?  And answers to the previous poster's questions of course.

Female bettas should not be housed together in groups of less than 5 (which need at the least a 10 gallon/40L tank) with lots of hiding spots and plants as they are quite aggressive and with just two of them, one will be bullied badly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back