Edibles To Plant Now?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Smurf

Reaction score
Hi folks - Earlier today I pulled out the (rather disappointing this year TBH) pea plants and, with the last of the carrots and onions likely to be eaten in the next few weeks, I was wondering what I could replace them with since it all looks a bit sad now :/

I have a small raised bed, (about 12/18" high), approx 3' x 6', has a row of sunflowers at the back (not that they're doing much by way of flowering, but they are getting quite tall) and a block of leeks that I planted a bit late so are still very much 'baby leeks' but I'm hopeful a few might get through to a reasonable size before winter.

Its all been a bit rubbish this year actually - the carrots that have grown have been great, but I've lost well >50% (they've just disappeared - do I have a carrot thief?!); the onions have been tiny; the radishes mostly got (half!)eaten before I pulled them :grr: and the peas were weedy and distinctly yellow. Any ideas? I used new compost so it shouldn't have been a nutrient issue... The tomatoes (inside) are still only about 6" tall, no sign of flowers or fruit. Sigh. Ah well, better luck next year!

Cheers!

Daisy x

PS Don't suggest brassicas - I hate cabbage ;-)

(they've just disappeared - do I have a carrot thief?!)

Have you happened to have seen a person with large thin ears, white hands and a white belly? I believe he goes by the name Bugs Bunny.

You could always put netting over the raised bedding to prevent anything getting in to eat it. You never know you could have rabbits in there on a night time if you're near a woodland or grassy area.

Radishes though are so hard to kill so keep trying :good: :good:

Hi folks - Earlier today I pulled out the (rather disappointing this year TBH) pea plants and, with the last of the carrots and onions likely to be eaten in the next few weeks, I was wondering what I could replace them with since it all looks a bit sad now :/

I have a small raised bed, (about 12/18" high), approx 3' x 6', has a row of sunflowers at the back (not that they're doing much by way of flowering, but they are getting quite tall) and a block of leeks that I planted a bit late so are still very much 'baby leeks' but I'm hopeful a few might get through to a reasonable size before winter.

Its all been a bit rubbish this year actually - the carrots that have grown have been great, but I've lost well >50% (they've just disappeared - do I have a carrot thief?!); the onions have been tiny; the radishes mostly got (half!)eaten before I pulled them :grr: and the peas were weedy and distinctly yellow. Any ideas? I used new compost so it shouldn't have been a nutrient issue... The tomatoes (inside) are still only about 6" tall, no sign of flowers or fruit. Sigh. Ah well, better luck next year!

Cheers!

Daisy x

Well tell us more about your location? Where are you, where is the bed (i.e. how much sun does it get), what USDA zone are you in?

You could always try something like strawberries (although it isn't the right time for them), but they'll survive the winter and be thriving by next year. I bought 6 2 years ago, I have about 100 plants now and I've given loads away :)

My radishes have been fine; however I did get one batch which were all chewed up (slugs I believe).

Late stuff? My saffron crocuses have just sprouted. So far, they have proven to be an easy plant. Very conveniently autumn blooming and produce a normally expensive spice. I have mine in window boxes, although I hear that they do just as well in the ground!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back