Eclipse tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

laryenhilllvr

Reaction score
;) hey, it's me...again. well, i went to petsmart on saturday looking for some tanks to use for my science project, and i saw some eclipse tanks, i was wonering if they are good tanks,or are there that are better. because i am interested in getting a six or seven gallon tank. I plan to put three female bettas in each, with some catfish (i saw a picture of some three stripeed catfish that caught my eye, but i need to see their compatibility) and either some tetras, guppies, or platys (i cant decide which i should get). I am really tight on money(actually my parents have to fund it, but they aren't toohappy about me getting a takn anyway), so i want to know if there are any places i should look that have inexpensive Eclipse tanks?

~~thanks~~

eclipse tanks aren't going to be inexpensive anywhere, unless of course you find a used one (try ebay). they're acrylics so they'll cost more. but they're good tanks.

In my local PetsMart the 5 gallon (i think) Eclipse tanks were the same price as the ten gallon kits they had but had less extra stuff for them. Getting any tank is a little expensive because of the hardware that is needed. The Eclipse tanks are pretty good tanks from what I have heard, just a little more expensive.

Eclipse tanks are great because they're self-contained. I have two of them myself (3 and 6 gallon). Pretty soon, I'm going to get my hands on an Eclipse System 12... then convert my 3 gallon into a hospital/nursing tank. They have all the hardware you need for a nice desktop setup. The lighting is great and the filter is virtually silent with the tank hood on.

I've noticed that the Eclipse tanks are more expensive in the stores than online. Definitely check eBay for unopened ones... but also price them at PETCO.COM

I bought both of mine on PETCO.COM because they were almost 10-20% cheaper than in the stores. Check it out! :thumbs:

My son has an Eclipse system 12 I gave him. I had it for 3 years now and never had any problems besides the cats chewed the cord. Mine is glass instead of acrylic. If I remember right it was just under 100 bucks from Petsmart. A very nice tank if you can afford the higher prices they have.

Here's what I found online this morning. . .

PETCO.com
Eclipse System 3 - $34.99
Eclipse System 6 - $55.99 (free shipping $40 or more)
Eclipse System 12 - N/A

PETSMART.com
Eclipse System 3 - $39.99
Eclipse System 6 - $55.99
Eclipse System 12 - $89.99

BIGALSONLINE.com
Eclipse System 3 - N/A
Eclipse System 6 - N/A
Eclipse System 12 - $79.99

I'm sure there are other reliable websites too... just didn't have time to search more.

I have the Eclipse 12 gallon and am very happy with it. Of course I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first go at fish keeping.... :)

Are these tanks 3,6, 12 gallons? Those are kinda small. I know its cheaper to get a small tank, but its harder to maintain. A 20 gallon tank is much easier to keep than a ten gallon, as a ten gallon is easier to maintain than a 3. Eclipse tanks are cute but they are more likely to disappoint because unless you really know what you are doing you will most likely have fish die.

guppymonkey said:
Are these tanks 3,6, 12 gallons? Those are kinda small. I know its cheaper to get a small tank, but its harder to maintain. A 20 gallon tank is much easier to keep than a ten gallon, as a ten gallon is easier to maintain than a 3. Eclipse tanks are cute but they are more likely to disappoint because unless you really know what you are doing you will most likely have fish die.
Eclipse also makes larger tanks. They have a 15 and I'm pretty sure a 25 as well. My hubby says he's seen them even bigger... But as far as quality goes I think Eclipse is a great aquarium. I have the 12 and with the few fish that I have the 12 is a perfect balance and not hard at all to maintain. Now the 2 gallon that I started out with before I had a clue was a nice setup but impossible becuse it was just way too small.

Like most people have said, good tanks, just slightly expensive. The eclipses have their built in filter, but I personally prefer an undergravel filter and a back filter (or something like what the eclipse has). I have a common problem of maintaining 16 tanks and the undergravel provide suction to pull the fish doodoo down underneath until I can pull the gravel vacuum out and clean the tank out. If you go to a mom and pop shop, you can usually find a 10 gallon full set up (with either an undergravel filter or back filter) for $39.99 or a 20 gallon for around $55.00. At least those are the prices I can see here in California--I'm sure there are similar in other places. But if you have the money to spend, by all means go for an eclipse (especially if you can get the acrylic, so much pertier. :))

:D thank you all for the replies, i called petsmart, and they were like their eclipse 6 tanks are $80.00, but they were like they have 20 gal. kits with everything i'll need for the same price, but it was by Topfin i would like to know if that would be a quality tank, or are there other tanks five gallons or larger taht are fairly priced and are quality.

laryenhilllvr said:
:D thank you all for the replies, i called petsmart, and they were like their eclipse 6 tanks are $80.00, but they were like they have 20 gal. kits with everything i'll need for the same price, but it was by Topfin i would like to know if that would be a quality tank, or are there other tanks five gallons or larger taht are fairly priced and are quality.
Like I posted at the top. . . the store prices will be MORE than the online prices. Why did you bother calling? You can get the Eclipse 6 tank for $50-60 online... that's 25% less than in the stores.

jaywings19 said:
laryenhilllvr said:
Like I posted at the top. . . the store prices will be MORE than the online prices. Why did you bother calling? You can get the Eclipse 6 tank for $50-60 online... that's 25% less than in the stores.
Dont forget to include shipping. Eclipse tanks are rather hefty so the shipping cost will be high. Yes it may still be a few dollers cheaper but youll have to wait until it arrives. In my opinion its worth it just to go to the store and pick one out. That way you wont be upset if your mail order one arrives broken. Topfin aquariums are decent setups. Id go with the Topfin for both the size and price.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back