eat your peas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My little orange sunkist shrimp is very funny to watch as he never backs down when he wants something. Even when all of my endlers start to swarm, he stays put and gets his share.
Is this normal behavior for a little shrimp?

I only have one other shrimp (amano) and he'll spy what he wants from afar then come in in a flash and steal it and run off and hide with it. He's much larger than the fish and sunkist.

eatyourpeas.jpg

I think that first time ive seen the orange againt black substrate. Very nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Oh yes, they are like me RCS they will not budge if they find something they like to munch on. Shrimp crack especially, even when the fat spixi snail puts his massive body over the food they will remain and pick around him!

Shrimp are also known to pick up the food and run away and hide with it.

I think that first time ive seen the orange againt black substrate. Very nice

Well thanks, I love my black substrate! ...and my little orange shrimp!

Oh yes, they are like me RCS they will not budge if they find something they like to munch on. Shrimp crack especially, even when the fat spixi snail puts his massive body over the food they will remain and pick around him!

that's so funny, I thought they'd be much more skittish and nervous being such delicate little creatures!

Shrimp are also known to pick up the food and run away and hide with it.

When I witness my Amano doing this it really cracks me up! And btw your betta is GORGEOUS! Does he not pester his tank mates?!? He must pick off the occasional shrimp?!

where did you get your Sunkist from?

He came from a LFS called The Aquarium Center it's in Clementon NJ. It's about an hour from me but I make the trip every two weeks or so just to browse around. It's an amazing place. I just wish they got a wider variety of shrimp. The really only get Amano, ghost and sunkist.

Aquatic arts is my reccomendation for shrimp.

Aquatic arts is my reccomendation for shrimp.

I just browsed around that site (gorgeous) and they have the blue dream shrimp that I want so bad. I can't imagine having such a delicate little creature shipped though! Actually I can't imagine shipping any live creature but I know people do it everyday.

Ive had 100 percent success with aquatic arts

My Bettas eat more than the occasional shrimp but thats ok thats why I have them.

My Bettas eat more than the occasional shrimp but thats ok thats why I have them.
Ya im sure some can put a dent in the population. Lol

Ya im sure some can put a dent in the population. Lol
Now this only applies to bigger heavily planted tanks like mine.

Not even close, I just glanced into my tank and saw 7 berried up females, now assuming each one has 10 eggs thats 70 baby shrimp, Even with 2 hungry Bettas I still have to remove shrimp every few months.

With the right water conditions, good food and lots of cover in the form of plants and shrimp tubes, Red Cherry Shrimp breed faster than pest snails.

I have a few I hope my population increases

Now this only applies to bigger heavily planted tanks like mine.

Not even close, I just glanced into my tank and saw 7 berried up females, now assuming each one has 10 eggs thats 70 baby shrimp, Even with 2 hungry Bettas I still have to remove shrimp every few months.

With the right water conditions, good food and lots of cover in the form of plants and shrimp tubes, Red Cherry Shrimp breed faster than pest snails.

Holy Moly! That's so crazy! That's why I'm so particular about what goes in my little 6 gallon! It can so quickly become a sardine can! haha

The people at the LFS probably cringe when they see me as I pick the smallest inhabitants and I study them once caught in that little square cup to make sure they're male and that there is no chance they're carrying eggs.

Most reactions

Back