Easy foreground plants that won't get eaten by angels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ozzie Boss

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an easy to grow plant that will not get eaten by my angels? I have water sprite, crypts, and hydro in my tank, but my angels completely destroyed my hygro plants. They only pick on that plant. I searched this up and people have the same problem with angels eating hygro plants.

The tank is a 50 Gallon. I have a Aqua Ray 15 Watt Fluorescent light that is on for 13 hours a day. I dose "easy green" once a week. I have sand as a substrate.

I was thinking of Ludwigia, Ambulia, Val, or an Amazon Sword.

Oh I forgot to add that I already have anubias. Also I screwed up the title I was looking for midground plants. Oops.

Swords wouldn’t be a bad plant to try, but I’d also consider java ferns. If you get some of the larger ones(particularly mother plants) they would look very nice as mid-ground plants.

I believe I also read a while ago that java ferns are “bitter” plants and are good for tanks with plant eaters.

Okay I am thinking of Bacopa, "moneywort", and Vallisneria. I will put the Bacopa in the mid ground and have the vall be the background plant. As for java fern I don't have much to attach it to ,and the seller that I get my plants from has it out of stock.

Angelfish are not renowned plant eaters, so the big question is "why are they eating the plants to begin with?"

How often are you feeding them?
What are you feeding them?
What other fish are in the tank?

I have no idea why. It's my bigger angel that is eating my hygro. The other two haven't picked on it yet. I feed them 2 times a day. They get flakes for the most part, bloodworms and baby shrimp on occasion, cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets and even algae wafers. Obviously they don't eat all of this during one feeding of course lol. The other fish I have with them are white skirts and corys. I think the older male is trying to pair with one of the angels. He is chasing the other male away and tries to swim by the "female". Maybe he is trying to "fix" the hygro for the female to lay eggs? I have no clue they are still juveniles thou.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back