Dwarf Seahorses

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

britt

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I wanna know if I can have dwarves, a scooter blenny, and a fire goby I think its called, in the same tank?

From what I have read... it would be 'inadvisable'... dwarf seahorses are a LOT more fussy than you average seahorses and need to be kept almost clinically clean (bare bottom tank and plastic plants) etc.. not really ideal in your average small marine tank...

I have never kept pygmy seahorses but really wanted to so did some reading a while back..... but unless you have kept them before and been keeping marines a while... I advise not getting seahorses or pipefish, let alone pygmy seahorses and certainly not mixing them with other species until you really know what you are ding with the seahorses.

Yes to the scooter blenny. They don't share the same food source (scooter is a copepod eater) but the firefish is a no. It's not so much that they would harm the dwarf seahorse but rather that they would simply out compete it for food. Also dwarf seahorses are livebearers so if you wish to keep the fry alive the firefish can't be in there. Firefish love larvae and fry!

Seahorses in general are best kept in a species tank and at the low end of tropical temps (76ish). They are prone to bacterial infections, especially in the pouch which is exacerbated by higher temps.

well that's to bad id really love to have a firefish goby but thanks for the info ive done tons of research and I think my tank is a week or two out from adding fish, my only other question is would you advise adding the seahorses or the blenny first?

I would get the firefish INSTEAD of the seahorses.

There are experienced aquarists that wouldn't touch seahorses with a ten foot pole.
Too much effort and too much time to dedicate, and pigmy ones are even more so.

... and to be honest, seahorses are boring. There was a display tank at the LFS and they pretty much did nothing but hang onto the plants. I was tempted myself by seahorses, so I spent some time staring at them trying to decide whether to take the plunge: They might as well been plastic ones.

Mind you, this is my experience and my opinion, you have to decide for yourself, but don't underestimate the effort you'll have to put in.

I actually am really looking forward to the challenge plus my girlfriend wants them so bad.

Dwarf seahorses are not the same as pygmy seahorses. Dwarf seahorses are H. zosterae but pygmy seahorses actually refers to a group of several species. The pygmies are usually coral inhabitants but the dwarfs are sea grass dwellers.

Dwarfs are pretty easy to keep. Probably the easiest of the seahorses in my opinion. Of course that makes it sound like they are easy...they aren't "easy" just easy for seahorses. All horses require special care and environment. Due to their small size several pairs can be kept in a 10 gallon tank.

Ahhh dwarfs and pygmy!! Now that's a distinction even I hadn't considered!! I definitely had pygmy seahorses in mind when thinking on difficulty levels!

Pygmy are like magic little faeries that require their specific coral or sponge and a magic wand to keep.

Dwarfs...not so much. ;) Also they are very prolific livebearers which makes them often called the guppy seahorse. Here's a photo of the dwarf. They are usually priced around $12 USD.

Dwarfseahorse.jpg

To get an idea of pygmies http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pygmy+seahorse&FORM=HDRSC2

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back