Dwarf Gouramis - Hardy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have a dwarf gourami and were told they were sensitive, susceptible to initial shock of introduction... I read up on dwarf gourami disease and upset myself.... but I took the plunge and got one... he's been in my tank a week now and is stronger and faster than my tetras. However, I did add him (with great care) to a cycled tank.

You've had fish before, you've read up on cycling, you seem to know what you're doing... however, if you don't like getting upset, then go for a hardier Honey Gourami IMO. But only when the tank is cycled :)

I have a dwarf gourami and were told they were sensitive, susceptible to initial shock of introduction... I read up on dwarf gourami disease and upset myself.... but I took the plunge and got one... he's been in my tank a week now and is stronger and faster than my tetras. However, I did add him (with great care) to a cycled tank.

You've had fish before, you've read up on cycling, you seem to know what you're doing... however, if you don't like getting upset, then go for a hardier Honey Gourami IMO. But only when the tank is cycled :)

Yea, it's been since decided to wait till the tanks fully cycle, it seems to be doing something now.
And yes, it's also been decided I am going to get honey gouramis too. :p

Right now I have a filter full of "seeds" and using a product to cycle. Adding fish food would only be to speed the process up even more.

Two things - "Using a product to cycle" - Dont waste any more money buying what i assume is bottled bacteria? Its utter tripe, and wont do anything. I appreciate the person that sold you it probably made it seem like the tank would never cycle without it, but countless people have proved it to be no more than expensve water.

Why are you "Adding fish food to speed up the process"? Your old media wont "seed" the fresh media without being fed. No more than 4-5pm is recommended for a fishless cycle, anything over this increases the chances of the wrong kind of bacteria blooming. If using just fish food, you'll still need to keep tabs on the ammonia levels even before the fish go in, if using ammonia, there would be no need to supplement with fish food.

just an update on gouramis.. had mine just short of 2 weeks and he has the most wicked personality I've ever seen in a fish. He's cheeky (and a bit of a perv - he can be totally disinterested in what I'm doing bu as soon as I start getting changing he's got his face pressed against the glass lol - tanks in my bedroom btw), he's very greedy too. But when I'm doing stuff in the tank (recently adding moss for my shrimp) I've found out he likes his sides stroking >.< a fish that likes to be petted! haha! I love it! So go for gouramis! if I had space and mney I'd have a giant gourami :D

Right now I have a filter full of "seeds" and using a product to cycle. Adding fish food would only be to speed the process up even more.

Two things - "Using a product to cycle" - Dont waste any more money buying what i assume is bottled bacteria? Its utter tripe, and wont do anything. I appreciate the person that sold you it probably made it seem like the tank would never cycle without it, but countless people have proved it to be no more than expensve water.

Why are you "Adding fish food to speed up the process"? Your old media wont "seed" the fresh media without being fed. No more than 4-5pm is recommended for a fishless cycle, anything over this increases the chances of the wrong kind of bacteria blooming. If using just fish food, you'll still need to keep tabs on the ammonia levels even before the fish go in, if using ammonia, there would be no need to supplement with fish food.

Yes, I discovered the products isn't doing much. And the seeds must be dead or something because I'd of thought it would be cycling properly by now. And nah, the bottle of cycle was given to me.

I'm hopefully gonna find a small bottle of ammonia when I'm in the big city.
I'll be damned if I can't find any in the 20+ fish shops.

just an update on gouramis.. had mine just short of 2 weeks and he has the most wicked personality I've ever seen in a fish. He's cheeky (and a bit of a perv - he can be totally disinterested in what I'm doing bu as soon as I start getting changing he's got his face pressed against the glass lol - tanks in my bedroom btw), he's very greedy too. But when I'm doing stuff in the tank (recently adding moss for my shrimp) I've found out he likes his sides stroking >.< a fish that likes to be petted! haha! I love it! So go for gouramis! if I had space and mney I'd have a giant gourami :D

I've had a few fish that liked to be pet. A friend had a fish that liked to be held. :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back