Dwarf Gourami question.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Umbra

Reaction score
So, I just bought my first dwarf Gourami's and I'm curious about their genders. I know that the males have sharper/longer dorsal and anal fins and that they are more brightly colored than females and that females are supposed to be silver-ish and bigger... but I've also seen that some people have females that look a LOT like males... and it's giving me a headache. is there a foolproof way, or a definitive way to sex a dwarf Gourami?

maybe by placing some pics.
Normal is males are collored / females are brownish or siverish and smaller! This doesn't count for neon blues. Those are difficult to sex (color and shapewise).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

maybe by placing some pics.
Normal is males are collored / females are brownish or siverish and smaller! This doesn't count for neon blues. Those are difficult to sex (color and shapewise).

I'll post it now, in a few minutes. I highly suspect they are two males though, which is dissapointing :/

First two pictures are of the one I think may be a female. it is a bit lighter, yellow-orange-ish in color (lighter too) but very shy and "Kisses" the other gourami's side every now and then, then leaves it alone when it flees.

The third picture, though bad, you can see how the "female" is a different, lighter shade than the Male.

The fourth and fifth picture are of the male. he has much redder colors, he is a bit smaller, has a bit longer feelers (though I think we can rule it out cos I think they got damaged at the fish store a few times, for both of them) and he is much more active and less shy.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 153
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 161
  • fm.jpg
    fm.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 148
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 142
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 131
You may be right in that you have a female there looks like she has a chubby belly with eggs, if so she is very nicely coloured. I have a pair and the female is very drab compared to the male she is smaller and has a shorter body shape. Don't be disappointed though they are lovely :) my two go through the motions of breeding but I never get fry so I may aswell have two males lol:D

You may be right in that you have a female there looks like she has a chubby belly with eggs, if so she is very nicely coloured. I have a pair and the female is very drab compared to the male she is smaller and has a shorter body shape. Don't be disappointed though they are lovely :) my two go through the motions of breeding but I never get fry so I may aswell have two males lol:D

Ah thanks :) If she is indeed a female, I'll be ecstatic! Gourami's are like, my new favorite fish... Mostly because I have never had Gourami's before :p They seem pretty smart actually for their size.

All the fish in the pics are male DG's (wildcolor)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back