Dwarf Gourami Needs Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Roberthhollis

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post but my blue dwarf gourami is having some problems lately, he has been settled in tank with 2 african dwarf frogs not clawed, 1 small Pleco and 4 minnows and the water is fine just he seems sick he started hiding the other side of the filter where it's darkest, and wouldn't swim to top to get food like normal but was still eating, he now has some marks on his back I have got this picture best I could get, have tried using this ulcer treatment but he still seems to be very unhappy.
Please help I don't want to loose him,
My frogs would miss him cause they always sleep together.
image.jpg

Sorry to say but I think you fish has DGD (dwarf gourami disease) and usually death results within a week or two of symptoms 1st presenting themselves :(

Thanks for the quick response, as i went to check on him this morning he was not hiding anymore and was swimming about, 
are you sure this is DGD, or could it be something else. 
If it is DGD are my other fish and frogs going to be ok and how i should clean my tank should he die. 
even my frogs seemed more happy today.Hopefully Flash (my gouramis name) is getting better, i have been using some ulcer treatment as i thought it was this.but only says to use for 3 days. 

Think Kirky is right. These are all signs of DGD to which especially tank breds (blue / cobalt / red) are prone to. Did some research and it appeared that the ones imported from asia really are a gamble. The Iridovirus is untreatable so I think you'd euthanise the fish. Sorry for that. If you wanna buy another, try to get one from a local breeder. As I said earlier in other threads : a bl**dy shame for these beautifull fish !! "We" did ruin this species !! Grrrrr. If it's DGD it is not contagious to your other fish and frogs.

i know its such a shame about these lovely fish, i think i will prob get something a little less prone to diseases, i know thats going to be hard though, 
anybody have any ideas of 2 beautiful fish that will go with my other fish ok and that are about same size as my gourami, 

Perhaps a honey gourami? And so sorry for your DG :(

Hey this is my first post but my blue dwarf gourami is having some problems lately, he has been settled in tank with 2 african dwarf frogs not clawed, 1 small Pleco and 4 minnows and the water is fine just he seems sick he started hiding the other side of the filter where it's darkest, and wouldn't swim to top to get food like normal but was still eating, he now has some marks on his back I have got this picture best I could get, have tried using this ulcer treatment but he still seems to be very unhappy.
Please help I don't want to loose him,
My frogs would miss him cause they always sleep together.
View attachment 71596

Hi there, Just wondered what happened to your gourami as from your photo it looks a bit similar to mine. A reply from kirkyarcher says death from DGD can happen in 1-2 weeks and it's coming up to 2 weeks since I noticed my DG had a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back