Dwarf Gourami male or female ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TDarrell9

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a couple of Dwarf Gourami from my local UK aquarium shop, I'm not sure if someone can see if i have 1 male and 1 female, any ideas ? If so any tips for breeding, seem to have plenty of mollies breeding, I know they are quite easy to breed as they are live breeders and don't stop going at it.

Thanks

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 238
They look like 2 males. The top fin is quite long and pointy in both fish, and they are both brightly coloured. Female dwarf gouramis are plain silver or perhaps with a hint of colour or stripes. I know that some females nowadays have more colour than they used to have but not to the extent of the fish in your photo.

Because you have 2 males, sooner or later one will start to pick on the other as male dwarf gouramis are territorial fish. You will need to rehome one of them.
If the shop sells females, see if you can swap one of the males for 2 females. Dwarf gourami males can also get nasty with a female if he wants to breed and she doesn't. Having more than one female means his aggression will be spread round. However, not all shops sell females because "they are plain and boring and no-one will buy them".

Hi they are both male I'm afraid, shops don't generally stock females as they are dull in comparison though they can sometimes be found.

They look like 2 males. The top fin is quite long and pointy in both fish, and they are both brightly coloured. Female dwarf gouramis are plain silver or perhaps with a hint of colour or stripes. I know that some females nowadays have more colour than they used to have but not to the extent of the fish in your photo.

Because you have 2 males, sooner or later one will start to pick on the other as male dwarf gouramis are territorial fish. You will need to rehome one of them.
If the shop sells females, see if you can swap one of the males for 2 females. Dwarf gourami males can also get nasty with a female if he wants to breed and she doesn't. Having more than one female means his aggression will be spread round. However, not all shops sell females because "they are plain and boring and no-one will buy them".
OK thanks for the help, yes i didn't see any grey ones so maybe they don't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back