Dwarf Gourami Dieing!?!?!?

greenterrorlover

Reaction score
My DG doesnt look to good, he has a large cut on his side close to his mouth and has clear poop, today he has been looking grey literally less colorful and swimming wierdly.. He is grey almost blackish? He hardly shines anymore and isnt really eating!? Please help!! And how do I heal the cut? I added some salt and cleaned my tank yesterday..

The more information we can get the better...

What are the water stats?  Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, hardness, temp.

What is your normal routine for maintenance in the tank?

What are the tank mates?  Are they showing any symptoms of being 'off'?

Treatment of wounds is fairly simple... clean water and isolation is usually all that is required.  But, there appears to be more than that going on here.

I'd start with this though.  If you have a small tank available that you can place the fish in, that would be ideal.  5 gallons would be plenty of room.  A 5 gallon bucket filled about 2/3-3/4 of the way up could also be used in a pinch, but would be a challenge to observe the fish.  This set-up would require a sponge filter and small heater.   Normally there would be a concern of the tank not being cycled, but given what I am about to recommend, that issue will be greatly minimized (almost negligible).

The fish should then be giving twice daily water changes, 50% or more... temp matched, dechlorinated water.  CLEAN WATER (and lots of it) will allow the fish's natural immunity take care of the wound.   

Severe wounds can be treated exactly the same way, with a minor addition of a fish dip added to ensure that there is no bacterial infection as a secondary condition with the wound.  (http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html)  You can also "swab" the area if an external infection has taken place, but this is a far more challenging thing for many fishkeepers.  

The discoloration and lack of eating could be a number of issues, most of them primarily internal issues - bacterial, viral, etc.  These will likely only be treatable with medication, but before medicating we'd need to be able to isolate the exact problem.  I'd suggest the QT option.  I'd leave not use salt in the QT, but only in the bath or dip, whichever you decide to go with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back