Dwarf Gourami Building Bubble Nest

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just noticed that my Male Dwarf Gourami is hard at work building a bubble nest. Does this mean 1 of the girls is pregnant or do the boys just do this from time to time? I have 2 girls and 1 boy. My boy spends a lot of time chasing the girls and has cut 1 of them on her face! (There is plenty of space to hide in the tank though so it's normally ok).

Any info on this would be great.

If the girls are pregnant should I put them in a breading tank? I would love to have some babies. Do eggs take long to hatch??

I realise I should probably post this in the gourami section but the site wont let me for some reason.

Thanks,

Gemma

Also girls have started fighting. Looks like they're kissing but guess they're probably not! Is this for the boys attention? Will he mate will both of them?

hello hello
when a dwarf male begins to blow a bubble nest, it doesnt necessarily mean that he is going to have babies but rather he is doing what he is biologically disposed to do and TRY to have babies. potentially, this could mean that in a few weeks he could pair up with one of your females and have some babies. if you would like to pursue the thought of "hatching" baby gouramis, you should move a male and female to another tank 10 gal minimum. from here you should have plenty of plant growth to cover the surface of the water so the male could effectively blow a good sized nest. you should have an underwater filter as to not disturb the surface of the water, ultimately preserving the bubble nest from disturbances and popping. tank water level should be relatively low and the temp should be turned up to about 84-86 degrees F in consideration of the sensitivity that gourami babies have to temperature. once the male and female get together and fertilize the bubbles with babies, do your best to remove the male and female from the tank before they get a chance to eat the fry. monitor the fry and keep the temp levels consistent and you should be fine. the process is of moderate difficulty but after a few tries you should be able to keep and raise a few babies. have fun!

Just to add to what cheehoo was saying. If you plan to breed them, it is best done in an isolated tank. This is because once they finish breeding, the male will become very protective of the eggs, and will even attack the female. So after they breed, remove only the female. The male will take care of the nest and replace any fallen eggs. When the fries become free swimming and the male is not able to do anything more of them, then you should remove him and take care of the babies yourself.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back