Dwarf Frog/affican Butter Fly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tony2099

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can I keep dwarf frogs with affican butter fly fish?

Should be fine, just keep the butterfly well fed.

I don't recommend it for a couple of reasons.  African butterfly fish would probably eat the frog or at least attempt to eat the frog.  And the ADFs really do better in a smaller more shallow tank than is good for the African butterfly fish.

I agree with Wildbetta.  The frog will surface for air, and I can assure you from having kept a pair of the butterfly fish for several years, that they are excellent ambush predators and it is amazing how fast they can spring into action and catch any moving surface creature.

If it's an animal that has to make regular trips to the surface i.e. frogs, it will be incompatible with butterflies. Mine hates activity at the surface. As soon as the lid opens he flips out. I can't imagine what he'll do if a frog jumped in front of him. :lol:

Speaking from personal experience, ACFs are best kept alone or with there own kind of the same size. When I tried mine with any community they would shred fish's fins with there rear claws. I know some have kept them in community tank successfully, but you would have to have large fish to begin and a small frog, which doesn't go well in the beginning for most carnivorous fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back