Duncan Coral Closed Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jtnova13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been very active lately!

My duncan coral has been in the tank for over a month and grew 3 new heads and has always been open and huge, but just recently it has closed up completely. I did a 10 gallon water change to replenish calcium and remove some phosphates.

I spot feed about once a week with uncooked shrimp pieces. It's under 4x54W t5's and 2x200W MH's, but they are only on for 2 hours a day.

I am thinking the phosphates may be contributing, but all of a sudden? I am getting a new phosphate remover this week (my rowaphos is about a month old). May start running some chaeto in a hob in the sump too.

Tank stats are:
SG-1.026
nitrate/ite/amm: 0
phosphate: 0, but a little cyano so it is probably being used by that
temp: 79F

Do you think an iodine dip will help revive it? Any help would be much appreciated. PS there is a green duncan coral about 4 inches from it that is doing fine.

Duncans will do this from time to time, much the same as Leathers, I had one closed for nearly a couple of weeks, 4 or 5 days is pretty commonplace. Give it a little more time and once its open start direct feeding it Frozen Cyclopeeze and Mysis.
ATB
C

Glad its ok. I know the feeling. I used to get super paranoid that my leathers were dying, as they'd close up for days at a time. And yup... how bloody well dare they!! :grr:

i often find my duncans close up when they are in the shade ( so to speak) or if a bit of sand has been thrown theyre way..they dont like being close to many other corals..or in the "shade" ( i mean under a big toady lol)

as for leathers.. cripes i used to think mines was dying on a weekly basis,, untill i researched and found out it was shedding ( goes nasty looking,green and slimy) then a day or two later recovers looking better than it ever did
rolleyes.gif

Most reactions

Back