Drop In UV Unit

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SgtSparkles

Reaction score
Got two of these guys. A big one rated for 125 gallons for my 90 gallon cichlid tank and a smaller one rated for 55 gallons for my 29 gallon community tank. The 29 gallon one has stayed spotless and the 90 has greatly improved but isn't as perfect. I have to say it works pretty well. It's a definite improvement. But, I would get twice the gallon rating as your tank if you want it to work its best.

You weren't having algae issues, the fish look healthy and don't appear to have any diseases, so why do you want a UV steriliser on a tank for?

You weren't having algae issues, the fish look healthy and don't appear to have any diseases, so why do you want a UV steriliser on a tank for?
The rocks had continual brown algae growth after the plants got torn up. Now they don't. Also prevention is great right?

You could grow floating plants to stop the rocks getting algae on them. If you used a small plant like Duckweed, the fish would eat that as part of their diet. If you grow Water Sprite, you could plant that in the gravel when you have too much and it will grow in the gravel or floating on the surface.

Your pleco might also be eating the algae. The pleco should have some driftwood in the tank to chew on. They use the wood to help with their digestion. You could add a small bit in the back corner and it wouldn't hurt the aesthetics of the tank.

If you have fluorescent globes above the tank, they produce less light as the globes age and that will normally reduce plant/ algae growth.

---------------------
I think the easiest way to prevent disease outbreaks in an aquarium is by doing big regular water changes, gravel cleaning the substrate, and cleaning the filter on a regular basis. In addition to this, quarantining all new fish for 1 month before adding them to a display tank will also help prevent unwanted diseases getting into the main display.

The rocks had continual brown algae growth after the plants got torn up. Now they don't
That's normal, your tank found a balance with plants and beneficial bacteria, when you took out the plants the balance was thrown out, I had the same thing when I rescaped my 2 foot tank took about 6 weeks for everything to balance out and the algae diapered all by itself.

In freshwater tanks, UV sterilization has no effect on algae except for unicellular algae which causes green water. But any other algae that forms on surfaces will not be affected. I thought it best to mention this in case other members thought acquiring one of these might help with algae.

As for "prevention," that depends upon what is intended to be prevented. Most of the claims are not substantiated, so money could be better spent elsewhere. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back