Driftwood Turning Water Yellow

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have some nice pieces of driftwood that came with my 2nd hand tank, but the person that owned the tank before me had nasty yellow brown water in it :sick: , and I know this was from the driftwood. He had kind of neglected the tank, so I'm not sure if the lack of water changes was the reason for this. I do weekly 25-30% water changes, and I have a natural looking planted aquarium, and I know the driftwood would look great in it :D . I have seen pictures of members tanks with driftwood in, and the water always looks clear. :huh: I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting rid of any excess tannings from the driftwood. :dunno: And also, would my weekly water changes help keep the water relativley clear, or not? :huh:

Any advice is really appreciated, Thanks :D

i had the same problem but with my bogwood the way i done it was put the wood in a bucket of warm water for a few days and keep changing the water it is in this didnt completly get rid of the tannins tho so with my new tank i bought a piece out of the display tanks in the shop i go to some 1 else will probally know a better way to do it though

Water changes and carbon in your filter will remove the tannins. Soaking in hot water for a few hours before use can help too. The tannins are usually very good for your fish.

Will just tannis in the water, unless it bothers you that much leave it, it actully good for the fish. If you really cant be done with it remove it and soak it in warm water for a week changing the water every other day will remove alot, normal water changes will help if you want to leave it in the tank. Some wood leaches for months others weeks :good:

While you may not like the tea-stained/yellow water, the tannins released from the driftwood to give that colour are believed to be of great benefit to our fish, especially those from soft/black- water areas (typically South America and Asia, basically most common dwarf cichlids, tetras and barbs).

Water changes and carbon in your filter will remove the tannins. Soaking in hot water for a few hours before use can help too. The tannins are usually very good for your fish.
+1 :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back