Driftwood not sinking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@Colin_T so more test results....

One tub of rocks tested at 7.9. Didn't do the rest...getting tired of testing. Lol.

One of these next ones is from my bathroom sink, the other kitchen...I can't remember which is which! Lol. Oh well...

Also 7.6. So i guess it doesn't matter which sink...lol.

2 tubes left, I think I will do the agitated well water for this one...so that one is 8.2 if not a bit higher.......

Extra tube left so I will do agitated from other house....that one tested at 8.0.

The water from the other house and the well water from outside the well house have been sitting just under the time that the tote of rocks has been sitting.

The ones from my sinks were just over 24 hours ago. This is just so odd....Hopefully my fish will be ok with this next water change. Kind of makes me a bit worried as this just isn't normal....so maybe something did foul the water somehow and it just takes a bit to go back to my normal ph.

The rocks in the buckets and tank might be affecting pH slowly. They could have small bits of limestone mixed with some other rock and that might be buffering the pH a bit. But it definitely is odd to get such varied readings from the same water supply. However, if the fish have been ok until now, they should be ok with the water and your current water change regime. So probably not too much to worry about unless the fish do strange things after a water change..

If you're really concerned you can either have water aerating in a big bucket for a few days before using it to help the pH come up a bit, or just do slightly smaller water changes (say 30% instead of 50%).

The rocks in the buckets and tank might be affecting pH slowly. They could have small bits of limestone mixed with some other rock and that might be buffering the pH a bit. But it definitely is odd to get such varied readings from the same water supply. However, if the fish have been ok until now, they should be ok with the water and your current water change regime. So probably not too much to worry about unless the fish do strange things after a water change..

If you're really concerned you can either have water aerating in a big bucket for a few days before using it to help the pH come up a bit, or just do slightly smaller water changes (say 30% instead of 50%).

Thanks again. I'll go ahead and do a regular water change later and keep an eye on things. If they don't like it I will do less next time, or keep testing water to see how much to do.

I may update in a couple of weeks with more tests but I think I'm done for the moment...lol. thanks for all the help!

24 hours just doesn't seem long enough to me. Though I don't plan on using the rocks long term...Unless I like them when they get in there! I can make caves for fish and put anubias plants on them if I want! Lol.

I would think that if you're going to the trouble of testing rocks in this way you need to leave them for about a week for the water ph to change.

With regards to wood, in the past I've soaked the pieces of wood for a few weeks. Either to make sure its fully soaked or to make sure the tannin and debris are all gone. I'd change the water when it looked like it needed it or every couple of days, whichever came first.

I would think that if you're going to the trouble of testing rocks in this way you need to leave them for about a week for the water ph to change.

With regards to wood, in the past I've soaked the pieces of wood for a few weeks. Either to make sure its fully soaked or to make sure the tannin and debris are all gone. I'd change the water when it looked like it needed it or every couple of days, whichever came first.

I'm not sure it was the rocks. I don't know what was up with the water.

Anyway, as for those driftwood pieces...I took them out as they still wouldn't sink. Took the rocks off and they floated and then I couldn't get them back in right. Got fed up and ordered some manzanita instead! Lol.

And I don't mind the tannins whatsoever. Weekly water changes keep them to a reasonable level for me.

Try boiling the driftwood, sometimes that will make it sink. Otherwise put it in a bucket of water and leave it outside under a tree. Then go out there a couple of times a week and scoop the mozzie larvae out and feed them to your fish. Eventually the wood will sink :)

Try boiling the driftwood, sometimes that will make it sink. Otherwise put it in a bucket of water and leave it outside under a tree. Then go out there a couple of times a week and scoop the mozzie larvae out and feed them to your fish. Eventually the wood will sink :)

Too big for me to boil unfortunately. And right now I don't feel like breeding mosquitos. Though I do have more fish that would love them...lol. if anything I could get them from my horse tank. Lots in there.

If you have access to mozzie larvae, use them. they are one of the best foods you can give fish for a treat or to bring them into breeding condition. Use a fine mesh net and scoop them out each day, rinse under the tap and then put in the tank. The fish will go nuts over them :)

Most reactions

trending

Back