Don't know what to do :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shelbygracex3

Reaction score
I posted a couple days ago about how I couldn't get my ammonia level down. I've been doing 50% water changes everyday and I still can't get the ammonia down. What do I do!!??

Stop feeding for a few days and do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day until the ammonia gets back to 0.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

---------------------------
Stop using the ammonia reducer because these can prevent the filter bacteria from using the ammonia and converting it into nitrite and nitrate.

---------------------------
When you test the water, rinse the test phials out under tap water a couple of times and then rinse them in tank water a few times. Use the plastic cap for the test phial and don't put your finger over the top of the phial because skin acids can affect results. Test the tank water with a couple of different phials and make sure the results are the same.

After you have done the test, rinse the phials out under tap water and allow to dry before putting them away. Then wash your hands with warm soap water to remove any potential residue from the test kits.

Last edited:
Hi

Have you tested your tap water?
What sort of water conditioner do you use?
Do you use API water test kit? the API master kit does not distinguish between ammonia and ammonium.

Assuming you don't have fish that eat plants, floating plants are very very very good at absorbing lots of ammonia. This is why they are sometimes referred to as ammonia sinks. Plants are in general good for ammonia consumption, but they do take maintenance and may not be worth it for you.

Big fan of planted tanks here, but you may not want any plants in your tanks. If this is the case, the comments above will help you.

I just read the other thread and a couple things were not mentioned.

Have you tested the tap water on its own for ammonia? If this is the source, that is easily solved (assuming the ammonia is still what you mentioned in the other thread, around 0.25 ppm).

Second, does your water authority use chloramine to treat the water? This involves ammonia and can affect ammonia tests.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back