Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does your betta flare at you?

Discussion in 'Betta Splendens' started by VulcanNinja, Dec 20, 2004.

1. VulcanNinja

VulcanNinja Member

My Betta flares at me when I look at him. Not all the time, but sometimes...punk :fun: Just wondering if yours does also.

2. Seahorse

Seahorse Member

Two of mine do.

The other ones greet me nicely. Dorks.

3. Whiskerz

Whiskerz Member

I have a betta that will flare at me if I put my face up to his tank :rolleyes:
    Or if I put my finger up to him he'll flare ;)

4. ral

ral Member

Gir, my crowntail used to flare at me. He does not anymore.

5. NinjaSmurf

NinjaSmurf Devils Advocate

All the friggin time. I swear, you'd think I was trying to kill him or something.

6. Shark_Lover

Shark_Lover Member

lol

I don't have a betta. :-(

7. Synirr

Synirr "No one is a failure unless you try"

Mine just swim back and forth begging for food! :lol:

8. gale

gale Member

Yes mine flares at me all the time whether I'm looking in the tank, have my finger on the side, or just minding my own business. To be fair the "other" betta (mirror) is only around when I am so maybe that's his thinking. I also sometimes catch him staring at me (the tank is next to the couch where I watch tv late at night) and if he's resting in his plant in the back of the tank and I look in there, he'll come right over and either stare or flare. He's quite a character. :lol:

9. littlefishie

littlefishie I Harth Darth

Captain Morgan flares at me occasionally, when he's being ornery and begging for another pellet.
    Now my boyfriend's betta, Bonzai.. He'll flare at me, at Chris [boyfriend], his pellets, his bloodworms, his plant, a pen, a candy cane, the printer occasionally.. Everything except our friend Bryce. Who tried pellets, bloodworms, pens, food, his own face.. Bonzai just turned around and ignored him. :lol:
    I guess he only likes to flare at Chris and I!

10. Koda

Koda Member

Most of my bettas do the fishy feed me dance when they see me.But I have one that actually jumps for food when I take the top off his tank.I think with a bit of training we could work up an act that would rival anything those silly dolphins at Sea World can do :lol:

They save the flaring for each other :D

Koda

11. SRC

SRC Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won'

I have 10 and none have ever flared at me lol.

They all get super excited when they see the silver food bag. I have several that look like cocker spaniels..shaking their little bodies so much..they look like they are doing a shimmy. :lol:

All of them will eat from my hand...they'll bite you too if you aren't careful lol.

12. aloaring

aloaring Member

One of mine flares at me, he also flares at the puffer fish in the next tank!! :lol: : :lol: Don't think he realises what hes flaring at!! Whereas my other male betta leon actually lures the two ghost shrimp out by dropping food in front of their hiding place and then flares at them and chases them!! :rofl: :rofl: Very very funny to watch!! Bu the doesn't flare at me! :rolleyes:

13. Joby

Joby Hypan addict

My son's red VT Alphie used to flare at us for the first week we had him, but now he just does the excited fishy dance when he sees us or should I say the Hikari pellet packet :fun:

14. lolly

lolly Member

My Betta 'crawford' comes to see me @ side of tank, then flares @ guppys when they obstruct his view. I think it is sweet that he wants to look @ me!

:D

15. mlaugh

mlaugh Member

My VT (Schuylkill) does. If I come close to his tank he immediately swims over and gets attitude. This is the same guy who tries to jump out of the tank and grab the food out of my hand when I feed him. My 2 crowns don't...Aidan will come see me but Smoke is fairly shy and only comes near when I lift the tank lid to feed him.

Silly fish. :)

16. _groove_

_groove_ Member

Fabian flares at my finger whenever I point at him through the glass. He usually swims against the glass trying to get at me frantically when I stick my face there, or when I come by with the food bag.

17. squiremaster

squiremaster Member

out of all the 11 months i had pebbles, he never flared at me. in fact I don't ever think he flared... unless he did behind my back...lol...rofl...roflcopter

18. electric yellow

My two boys dont flare so to speak...but they swim around like lunatics when they see me and then when i give them their mirror to play with they go nuts and flare like mainiacs.

19. azulfire24

azulfire24 Member

yet aGAIN NOT TO TRY A DIG AT U OR ANYTHING, BUT BEIN TOO COLD MAKES BETTAS SLUGGISH, WHEN U GET THAT HEATER U WILL PROBALLY SEE A WHOLE NEW SIDE OF UR LITTLE FRIEND!!! crap sorry but the caps, baaa i am not retypin it..

my ct oct only flares when i stick my hand in his water to move somthin, he also bits at my hand too!!!! :rolleyes:

20. squiremaster

squiremaster Member

Betta's don't need heaters but it does make them more active. so just to let you know if you don't have a heater, make sure you keep him in room tempurature